Top 10 Things I Learned in
By Sarah K. Farmer
#10. I have learned how to create a
• In the world of Public Relations, blogging is a wonderful to
• 1.) Get your name out there on google.com.
• 2.) Let others know your opinions on events happening in the
• 3.) Show the world you are up to date on situations in the
• 4.) Staying in touch with others views.
#9. I have learned how to use Twitter.
• Twitter is a way to stay up to date on current
events. There are constantly people tweeting
about what is going on in the news.
• Twitter is also a great way to network with
other people in the public relations industry.
#8. I have learned that after any
interview/presentation you should
send a hand written thank you note.
• Barbara Nixon has taught me that it is very
professional and quite customary to write a
thank you note after an interview or
• When you send a thank you note after a job
interview, it helps give your name a good
#7. I have learned that staying up to
date on current events is essential.
• In the field of public relations, it is essential to
stay up to date on events happening in the
• You always want to be prepared to give your
opinion on a current event.
#6. I have learned that technology is
PR’s best friend.
• Twitter, Facebook, Wordpress, PROpenMic, Vi
meo, SlideShare, podcasts, etc.
• All of these are key ways to communicate in
today’s face paced world in the field of PR.
#5. I have learned that there are many
Professional PR Organizations
• PRSA- Public Relations Society of America
• PRSSA- Public Relations Student Society of
• IABC- International Association of Business
• IPRA- International Public Relations
• Along with CASE, NSPRA, and a few more…
#4. I have learned that PR has been
around for ages.
• For some reason, I was under the impression
that public relations was something that was
considered to be a “new” field.
• While it isa majorthat is recently being offered
at colleges and universities, it has been
around since ancient times.
#3. I have learned that there is a
difference between a PR department
and a PR firm
• PR Department- An organization that goes by
many names (Ex: corporate
communications, communications, corporate
affairs, investor relations, public
affairs, marketing communications, etc.)
• PR Firm- Referred to as “agencies” in a firm
that specifically hires out employees to
conduct PR situations with other companies.
#2. I have learned that there is a
process to effective PR
• 1.) Research
• 2.) Planning
• 3.) Communication
• 4.) Evaluation
#1. I have learned that public relations
is a field that I definitely want to enter.
• It has taken me a while to decide what major I
wanted to graduate with. Recently, I chosen
• After this Intro to PR class, I have realized that
this is undoubtedly what I want to do.
Some links that enhance your social
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.