What Is GEAR-UP? Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs
Project Goals• Raise student expectations and academic achievement• Increase information accessibility and promote higher education• Raise awareness of financial aid opportunities
Gear-Up ScholarshipsStudents qualify for scholarships by earning points within Gear-Up
1. GEAR UP Endorsed Activity Participation Participation Frequency/Semester Points/Semester Participates in 4 or more activities 35 Participates in 3 activities 25 Participates in 2 activities 15 Participates in 1 activity 5 No Participation 0
4. Career Plan*Career Plan Points/Year Completed 15
5. Extracurricular/Community Participation*Activities Points/SemesterSchool Clubs/OrganizationsStudent CouncilCommunity/Church GroupsUnique Job InternshipsService Learning (At least 1) 5 Total
Define School/Non School Activities•School Activities Include •Non-School Activities Include •Junior Civitans •Girl Scouts •Beta Club •Boy Scouts •Sports Teams •Non-Profit Organizations •Band/Chorus •Churches •Mentoring/Tutoring •Red Cross •Etc… •United Way •Etc…
6. Behavior*Referrals/Semester Points/Semester 0 referrals 5 1 referral 3 2 referrals or more 0
7. Bonus Points CategoriesCategory Points/SemFinancial Need 10First Generation 10Special Student Attendance 5Service Learning 5Pre-AP/AP Course Participation 2P/T Conference (2 opportunities) 2Open House 1Parent Workshop #2 5Parent Workshop #3 5*Letter of Reference 5*Novice Scholarship App 10 *Applicable during Junior/Senior year
Total Points Possible per Semester?•143 (120) Points through Sophomore Year•158 (135) Points during Junior/Senior Year •Novice Scholarship = 10 •Letter of Reference = 5
Upcoming Opportunities• Home Visits...if you want to go ahead and get yours done, write it on your comment card. Remember to write your name and your students name and well call or email you.
Upcoming Opportunities• Alive at 25...LHS is hosting a program that all students who plan on getting a parking pass for next year must take. The first 175 students that return their form to get to do it for free. The fee is $35. Program is aimed at developing healthy driving habits. Class is 6 hours on Feb. 11 at 8am.
Upcoming Opportunities• Scholarship opportunities• Sara’s Notes• Upcoming Events • Both GEAR UP Schools
News Flash• New Email...school district has new email addresses that were using right now:• Sara.Jordan@lcsdmail.net• Latasha.Thompson@lcsdmail.net• Reggie.Lowery@lcsdmail.net
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.