1. St Joseph’s, Waitara Our Science Trolley Presentation Hope you enjoy!
2. What does science mean to you? <ul><li>“ To me science means that you look at all of the little things and that you do lots of experiments.” </li></ul><ul><li>“ Science means to me comparing different objects and using chemicals.” </li></ul><ul><li>“ It means discovering and understanding new things, and learning about things and experimenting.” </li></ul>
3. Initial response to the science trolly. <ul><li>The children were asked to rate the trolley on a scale from 1 to 5. These are some of our responses. </li></ul><ul><li>“ 4, because it doesn’t look very interesting from the outside.” </li></ul><ul><li>“ 3, because I haven’t used the science trolly before.” </li></ul><ul><li>“ 5, because I think it will be really fun and cool because I haven’t done science before and it looks really interesting.” </li></ul><ul><li>“ 5, because I love trying new things that look fun.” </li></ul>
4. Before the children has even looked at the trolley they were asked, “$6,500 does that sound like a realistic price at this stage?” <ul><li>“ Yes because it comes with heaps of equipment and a computer.” </li></ul><ul><li>“ I don’t think that this is a reasonable price but the chemicals would cost quite a bit.” </li></ul><ul><li>“ I think it should be $8000 because it has a lot of chemicals and expensive equipment in it.” </li></ul>
5. After we had a look at the trolley we did the questions again to see if our opinions had changed. <ul><li>“ 5, my opinion has changed because I did not know how much equipment was in there.” </li></ul><ul><li>“ 4, my opinion has changed because it is more exciting when you get up close to it.” </li></ul><ul><li>Some people stayed with their initial thoughts about the science trolley. </li></ul>
6. We collected data from the tests we did this is what we got After we had a look at the science trolley our opinions changed because we had seen what was actually in the science trolley.
7. These are some of the experiments we have done
8. Nappy absorbency
9. The acids and base team, they tested whether liquids were acids or base.