View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!Introducing SlideShare for AndroidExplore all your favorite topics in the SlideShare appGet the SlideShare app to Save for Later — even offline
View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new Android app!View stunning SlideShares in full-screen with the new iOS app!
Important Basic Computer Tasks
When you use a program and save your work, or when you install a program’
you’re creating files. You can store your files in many locations –on the hard disk,
a network drive, a floppy disk, and so on. To better organize your files, you can
also store them in folders
To Create Folders
1. On the desk top, double-click My Computer
or point to My Computer and Right-click.
On the File-menu click Open.
The My Computer window opens
2. Double-click the disk drive or folder In which you want to create the folder.
The drive or folder window opens.
3. On the File-menu, point to New and then click folder
4. Type the folder name and press ENTER
The new folder appears in the location you selected.
Note: An easy way to open Files, folders and drives is as follows.
1. Point to the file, folder or drive you wish to open.
2. Right-click on the file, folder or drive
3. On the File-menu click Open
4. The file, folder or drive opens.
(This can be used instead of double-clicking.)
Renaming Files and Folders
If you decide to change the name of a file or folder, you can quickly rename it.
To rename a file or folder
1. In a window, right-click the file or folder you want to rename.
2. On the file menu, click rename
3. Type a name and then press ENTER.
Copying and Moving Files and Folders
When you create files and folders, you may want to copy or move them to
another location. Unless you’re an advanced user, you should avoid moving
program and system files.
To copy or move a file or folder
1. In a window, select the file or folder you want to copy or move.
Note. You can select multiple items. To select nonadjacent items, hold
down CTRL and click the items you want to select. To select adjacent
items, hold down SHIFT while you select items. To select all of the items
in a window, on the Edit menu , click Select All.
2. On the Edit menu, click Copy to copy the file, or click Cut to move the file.
3. Double-click the folder in which you want to place the file or folder.
4. On the Edit menu, click Paste.
The file appears in its new location.
Deleting Files and Folders
Whenever you delete a file, it is temporarily moved to the Recycle Bin on your
desktop. If you change your mind, you can restore the file. However, when you
empty the Recycle Bin, all of the items in it are permanently deleted from your
To restore a file that you deleted, double-click Recycle Bin, select the file and
then on the File menu, click Restore.
To delete files and folders
1.On the desktop, double-click My Computer. The My Computer window
2. Select the file or folder you want to delete.
3. On the File menu, click Delete
The Confirm File Delete dialog box appears.
The file is moved to the Recycle Bin.
To permanently delete file
1. On the desktop, double-click Recycle Bin.
The Recycle Bin opens.
2. On the File menu, click Empty Recycle Bin or
3. Right click on the file or folder you want to delete
4. On the File menu click Delete while pressing the