Video of this presentation is at: http://www.viddler.com/explore/sirexkat/videos/21/
An introductory level session that defines Open Source, outlines how it fits in with library philosophies and practice in order to help library staff make informed decisions about Open Source software for their libraries.
1. Definition of Open Source
2. Open Source as a licence
3. Open Source as software development method
4. Widely used Open Source Software
5. Who is using Open Source Software?
6. Library Specific Open Source Software
7. Barriers and benefits for Open Source Software.
Presented as a 30 minute session at the VALA 2010 conference "L Plates" session, Melbourne Australia, 8 February 2010.