• Like

Evaluation q preliminary task

  • 431 views
Uploaded on

c

c

  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Be the first to comment
    Be the first to like this
No Downloads

Views

Total Views
431
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
4

Actions

Shares
Downloads
0
Comments
0
Likes
0

Embeds 0

No embeds

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
    No notes for slide

Transcript

  • 1. Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?At the beginning of the year we started the course by completing our preliminary task which meantthat we had to create a magazine for our school. Within this we had to have a front page andcontents page. We took the images ourselves and chose how we would design our front cover andcontents page. There is a very significant difference in my magazine at the start of the course, and mymagazine now. I feel that it shows how all of my skills have developed and what I have learnt to beable to do over a short time period.The first thing we had to do was take some photos. For this, we simply went off around the school ingroups and took a few pictures which were unorganised, unprepared and of our choice, we did this inlesson time. As it was unprepared, we did it in the clothes that we were originally wearing; therefore,it would reflect the standard of magazine we would be creating. The group that I was working withtook about 20 photos and we only ended up using 5 of them. I thought this was completely differentto when I was actually making my magazine as I prepared for it a lot more. I knew what my modelwould be wearing and how my images were planned to come out. I made sure that I had drawn up mysketches of what I wanted to have as an image and my initial ideas for my pages, to get a rough ideaof what I was looking to create. I also made sure I made myself aware of whom I would be targetingmy magazine towards when choosing things such as the outfit, hair and makeup. In comparison to mypreliminary task, I took around 200 photos overall in my actual magazine preparation. This meant thatI had a lot more to choose from, allowing myself a back up choice if I decided to change my mind. Itmeant I could play around more with my designs to see what images would look better in certainplaces.The main difference which came between my two magazines was the software that I made it on. Thepreliminary task was made and designed on photoshop, and my actual music magazine was made anddesigned on InDesign. InDesign was a new software to me but I found it relatively easy to pick up onwith the help of others and when I was experimenting with new ideas. It allows you to get a betterview of where you magazine is going and yiu can be a lot more creative than you can on photoshop.As it is easier to use than photoshop, it helped me a lot because it meant that my pages were turningout to look a lot more realistic and I could use different techniques to improve my work. AlthoughPhotoshop works to create magazines, InDesign is a more technical programme used by professionalswhich obviously increased my overall skills using media software.Whilst creating my school magazine I had to use my initative as I hadn’t used photoshop before. I hadto experiment a lot when I was trying new things as I wasn’t sure how to do simple things. As I wasnew, I made my school magazine simple and basic. All of the text was in the same font and size and Ionly used blue and green for the entire magazine which, because of the photo, was hard to read. Ionly used these colours because it was the matching colours of the images that I had used – green forthe grass on the contents page, and blue for the bus on the front page. Again, comparing this to myfinal magazine is a big difference. I carefully chose all of the colours and they were all chosen to fitwith the style and the audience of the magazine so they look very effective. I then went on a fontwebsite called ‘dafont’ and searched for a specific font that again would fit the style of my magazineand appeal to the target audience rather than using a font that is already available. I thought thiswould look a lot more effective in the long run, as it isn’t an ordinary look to my magazine, it lookscreative.
  • 2. Creating my music magazine has also taught me how to editing photos including cutting out thebackground and adding tints etc to get a better overall image. As I was new to media, I didn’t knowhow to do this, but as time went on, I learnt that on Photoshop I have been able to use slightairbrushing tools to make sure my model looks at a high standard on my magazine. I didn’t do this onmy school magazine as it was at a lower standard, and my skills and knowledge of the software wasn’tdeveloped as much. I found it fits my overall theme for my magazine a lot more as it runs with thetarget audience I was aiming for.