The 25 th of January Revolution Ashraf Amin, Al-Ahram Newspaper 7 - 04 - 2011
- - Was there any expectations that this will happen?
- -Key role players of the Egyptian Revolution
- -How the Gov used to deal with the new media?
- - How the revolution was accomplished ?
- - What role did the social media play in the revolution?
Was there any expectations that this will happen?
- -People were frustrated of how the regime manipulated the last parliamentary elections
- - Politicians/artists were estimating a coming revolution led by the poor illiterate people.
- - But no one thought that the 25 th of jan protest will turn to be a revolution.
Key players of the Egyptian Revolution Dr.Nazif The Youth The Pressure Groups
the Youth most of the people who called for the protest were young students and graduates & from the middle class society
Dr Ahmed Nazif Ex-PM and 1 st Minister of Communication & IT in Egypt He created a Youth society that lives in a bubble .
The Pressure Groups
- -The 6 th of April 2008 strike
- - the 9 th of March movement by the Cairo University professors
- -"Kefaya" aka Enough
How the Gov used to deal with the new media?
It s just happening in the City
Arresting Bloggers Wael abbas Blogger and journalist Israa abdelfattah Admin of the 6 th of april strike FB page
Arresting Bloggers Wael Ghonim admin of the FB page “We are all Khaled Saiid “that called for the revolution Khaled Saiid beatten to death by the police forces
So how the revolution was accomplished ?
It was a leaderless act
Calls for Protests on FB
2 am 8 th of April @ Tahrir square
Live Pictures from the ground
Learning from the Tunisians
..and sharing knowledge with others
What should you wear to avoid police brutality
Christians protecting Muslims in Tahrir square during their pray
The Camel’s Battle 2 nd of Feb2011
RNN a News Agency on FB
The Army salutes the martyrs of the revolution
Happy faces from Heaven
Tahrir Square, Cairo 11 th of Feb 2011
Thank you… [email_address]
- So How things went afterwards
First Democratic Test
- Ratifying the Constitution
- Changing the Constitution
Ratifying the constitution
- Egyptians were split between
- Religious leaders FB users
19 million citizen participated in the Referendum (19 th of March 2011)
77% yes vs 23% No
- 45 millions - 19 millions – 1million =
- 25millions didn’t participate
- immigrants + working abroad + still watching
- Facilitate voting rights for Egyptian abroad
- Can’t depend on FB & Twitter in approaching people in rural areas & villages
- FB activists/ Baradei call for volunteers to go and talk to people
- 85 millions - 45 millions=
- Explanatory journalism offline/online