MGT 445 FINAL EXAM QUESTIONS
Click Here To Download
1. In distributive bargaining, negotiators view tradeoffs as a "zero-sum" game.
2. A "win-win" negotiation goal would best describe the integrative negotiation style.
3. Which one of the following is an effective technique for dealing with hard-ball tactics?
a. Fight fire with fire
b. Threaten and bluff until the other party is intimidated
c. Plead for mercy
Complain to the other party's constituents
d. Ignore them
4. Which of the following approaches is inconsistent with interest-based negotiation?
a. Separating the people from the problem
b. Identifying shared interests
c. Fully exploring the problem
d. "Low-balling" and "high-balling" opening offers
e. Inventing options for mutual gain
5. All of the following are well-regarded approaches to ethical reasoning, except:
b. Social contract
d. End results
e. Absolute ethics
6. The following are true of coalitions, except:
a. They rarely start with a founder
b. They build by adding one member at a time
They need to achieve critical mass
c. They exclude members
d. They sometimes form quietly and disband quickly
7. Which of the following would be an incorrect statement about multi-party negotiations?
a. The number of parties greatly influences the process
b. Information exchange tends to be more complex
The social environment remains static
c. Procedural complexity adds to the negotiation challenges
d. They are strategically more complex
8. Which of the following best describes the conflict type when disagreements center on personal beliefs
and deeply held values?
9. To maximize the potential for a successful resolution, prudent conflict managers analyze and
consider the interests of which of the following stakeholders?
d. All of the above
10. The “bottom line” a disputant is seeking when resolving conflict is best described as which of the
11. Which of the following elements need not be considered when assessing the negotiation environment
of a foreign nation?
a. Legal pluralism
Instability and change
b. Political pluralism
c. Cultural differences
None of the above
12. Given the complexity and uncertainty surrounding global business negotiations, it is particularly
important that prudent negotiators do which of the following?
a. Assess their "BATNA" before commencing negotiations
b. Arrange their travel itineraries well in advance of negotiations
c. Avoid any form of conflict or competition
d. Avoid showing weakness by creating options for their opponents during negotiations
e. All of the above
13. In which of the following cultures would a friendly, trusting, and relationship-building negotiation
protocol be highly valued?
14. While important, culture is rarely a significant factor in assessing the probability of success in a global
15. "E-Negotiations" and similar technological advances effectively remove the need for negotiators to
travel to their markets to maintain personal contact with customers and to assess the local business
16. Name the top ten ways culture affects negotiations (5 points). You must list all ten to receive credit.
Negotiating Goal: Contract or Relationship
Negotiating Attitude: Win/Lose or Win/Win
Personal Style: Formal or Informal
Communication: Direct or Indirect?
Sensitivity to Time: High or Low?
Emotionalism: High or low?
Form of agreement: General or specific?
Building an Agreement: bottom up or top down?
Team Organization: One leader or group consensus?
Risk taking: High or Low?