Using ICT in the classroom (in a funky way)Document Transcript
Using ICT in the classroom (in a funky way)
First of all, post a note on my wall by clicking on the link above
and then double clicking on the wall!
1. Go to www.wallwisher.com
2. Click on “Login/Register” in the top RH corner (you can login using your
Google account/ OpenID if you have one and don’t want to register),
and fill out the form
3. Click where it tells you to to buld your first wall
4. Edit your wall, choose a url, change the title and subtitle, edit the
permissions, select an image and click on “done”
5. Voila! Your wall is ready to receive posts. You can add one yourself to
check it works
Embedding your Wallwisher in VOLE
1. Click on “Do More” at the top of your wall
2. Select ‘Embed”
3. Copy the code in the box that pops up
4. Go to your VOLE page and click on “Turn editing on” in the top RH
5. Click on the little edit symbol
6. Then click on the <> symbol in the toolbar at the top, and paste in the
7. Click on “save changes”, and your Wallwisher should appear in all its
glory on your VOLE page! You can now use this technique to embed
any number of funky things in VOLE. You can see our embedded wall
Diigo is a social bookmarking site. You need
to register an account and (optionally)
download the Diigo toolbar for your browser. When you see a web page
you wish to keep simply click on the icon, add a description and “tag” the
page – in other words add a search label - and it will be in your Diigo
account for future use!
There is much more you can do with Diigo – check out the video tutorial on
this page. We have set up an MFL department group, so whenever we see
something of interest, we add it. Group members can be sent periodical
emails updating them with what’s been put on.
Task: Sign up for Diigo and create a group for your Department
Storybird is an online storytelling tool. Pupils can use art
provided on the site to illustrate their story and crate an online storybook.
This can then be emailed, embedded etc. Great for creativity. You can see
some Year 7 work using Storybird here:
1. Register at www.storybird.com
2. Click on “Create” at the top, choose an artist, and click on “create a
storybird with …’s artwork”… and away you go!
3. When you have finished your Storybird, you can set privacy options,
publish your storybird, embed it, and email it to friends.
Task: Write a short Storybird.
Quizlet is a site for making and finding flashcards. These can be used for a
variety of purposes.
Click here for a video tutorial: http://quizlet.com/demo/ - Quizlet is very
intuitive! You can set up groups for your students to join, and paste the
address of your Quizlet into VOLE if you want them to revise a
particular set of flashcards.
Task: Create a set of 10 flashcards for your subject and put a link to them on
Xtranormal is a text-to-movie website which allows you and your students to
create short films with your own scripts using very clever text-to speech
technology. This means your students write a script and then feed it into
Xtranormal to produce films with characters enacting it. The free version of
Xtranormal allows for a maximum of two characters, so dialogues, which are
much beloved by us language teachers, are not a problem. There’s no reason
though that the characters couldn’t be explaining an aspect of biology or
history to each other….
Check out how students did this at Nottingham High in sixth form Spanish:
1. Click on “Create account” and fill out the form (you can leave the
details box blank if you wish).
2. Click on “MAKE MOVIES”
3. Choose a “showpak” – characters and a setting, in other words
4. You can write the script here, and drag in camera angles, facial
expressions, sounds etc from the left hand side.
5. Clicking on “Quick tips” takes you to a step-by-step tutorial
Task: Create a small movie!
With Slideshare you can upload and share your PowerPoint & Keynote
presentations, Word & PDF documents online. You can also add audio to
make a webinar. I have used this to show off students work on VOLE by
embedding their presentations from Slideshare (scroll down to “Les directions
en ville” in box number 6). There is also a social networking aspect to it – you
can follow and message other users and
Task: Register on www.slideshare.net , upload a document, and follow
This site features lots of really useful resources.
Task: Explore and get to know two different tools from this site.
NB http://e.ggtimer.com is a very good whiteboard timer!
UMapper.com allows you to create interactive maps and geogames. You can
see a French weather report here!
1. Go to www.umapper.com and sign up. The go back to the Umapper
2. Click on “Create embeddable flash maps – show me how” on the right
of the page.
3. Watch the tutorial videos.
4. Task: Make a map! Maybe you could add audio, or do a weather map
or a GeoDart game…
5. Embed your map to VOLE
Glogster allows you to create and share online posters using video, audio,
photos and text. You can have a go at creating your own Glog here (no need
Glogster also has an “edu” version
Tutorial on how to use it here
More on Glogster here
Task: make a Glogster and embed it in VOLE!
We might have a play with Edmodo if we have time….!
Other things we may talk about: