1. Great Depression???Group Members : Ken =3 Hoesni :D Simer =| Chevonne :P Mahin =X
2. crash of the U.S. stock market+ an economic recession+ originated in the U.S.+ soon became worldwide+ lasted for a decade+ massive poverty, hunger, unemployment and politicalunrest = DEPRESSION!!!
3. Stock market crash Governments on October 29, Banks forced to imposing high 1929 (Black close down tariffs Tuesday) The Great Depression had Severe Droughts BEGAN!
4. 1. Over-Production/ over- Expansion• During the 1920’s, every industry was expanding .• As a result goods were over produced for stock piling.• But, Industrialists forgot the basic economic rule: only make as many items as you can sell.• Wages simply were not high enough to buy all the products made.
5. 4. High Tariffs Trap• Many countries including Canada competed with one another toput on high tariffs on goods coming into their country to protecthome industries.•These restrictive measures greatly reduce the volume ofinternational trade. 5. Credit Buying• Credit buying was becoming popular throughout the 1920’s.• Many people gambled on the stock market .• Unfortunately on October 1929 the stock price crashed down andmany people were wiped out.
6. TIMELINE1929 1930 1931 1932 1933-1938 1939
7. 1929 Stock market crashStock values drop horribly!
8. 1930 Banks close down Employment leveldecreases drastically by 20%
9. 1931 Severe drought Crops die “Black Blizzards” begin Dust begins to blowCommunist Party of Canada outlawed
10. 1932Number of dust storms increase 14 are reported this year 38 in 1933
11. 1933-1938 Bank of CanadaCanadian Wheat BoardEmployment Insurance
12. 1939Japan attacked America WWII Demand for goods increased Economy recovers
13. Franklin D. Roosevelts New Deal “YEAH!!!” Program said the bunny Break out of World War II in Europe Demand of goods rose up during and after WWII