LM Wind Power – in brief
• World’s leading component supplier to the wind industry
• LM has produced more than 160,000 blades in the course of
more than 30 years
• Turnover in 2012: ~753 EURm
• LM Wind Power employed ~ 5,998 people world-wide (2012)
• With Intranet access: ~ 2,000
Google search says…Rotor
blade means LM Wind Power
• Intranet launched in 2004
• Well known intranet brand
• Many plans for development
• Who ”owns” the intranet?
• Owner = Communication
• Budgets = IT Department
• Global/ Local disproportion
Intranet status 2010
• Cost cutting announcements
• Minimal travelling
• Minimal external consultants
• “Non-strategic” IT projects are
• Goodbye to many colleagues
Downturn - A credit crunch time
While wait for financial crisis to recedes
We need to improve with…
• Minimal of resources
• Very low budget
• Due to outsourced technical
competencies, hard to make
Yes! Of course you can!
• No hard ”evidence” that things
need to change – only rumors. We
• State of the intranet: How are we
doing compared to others?
• Establishing a baseline for future
• ~2500+ responded.
User satisfaction survey and benchmark
Almost 50% of
LM Wind Power
Why are we doing this
The intranet is another
good source of information.
The structure could be more
effective - quite some outdated
documents (e.g. guidelines
etc.) can be found
Missing clear directive of
what the intranet can do
for knowledge and
process sharing at LM
It makes sense to consolidate all
internal interfaces in one
The internal survey concludes
that our intranet platform need work to
become aligned with the business
Look for the green outcrys to see what
our users say
Now to avoid additional
If no, please specify why not:
• Results show that 07% of the
users doesn’t use the Intranet.
• However, the intranet is
considered both useful and
• Major gaps identified (quite a
few confirmed rumors).
• Served as a serious eye-opener
for several in the organization.
• Survey is now annual!
Do you use the global intranet?
Yes 95% 98%
No 5% 2%
Building on the work carried out in the internal survey we now have an
The ONE place that brings LM Wind Power closer to
You by nurturing efficient communication,
knowledge sharing, and collaboration
…and three mission statements:
in a social business
the company brand
internally – to inform
Visualizing the data
deriving from various
everyone, or a certain
group of employee’s
up to speed with the
Integration with other
systems Which is
already running on
SharePoint 2010 to
adhere to the notion of
One LM – Our intranet
ideally becomes the
entry point to One LM
• Intranet Governance Board (Comms / IT / HR)
• Meeting Frequency: 2-4 times/year
• Long term planning and ensuring that the Intranet strategy is aligned
with both LMWP’s overall strategy and the IT strategy.
• Intranet Operational Planning (Intranet Team/ IT)
• Meeting Frequency: Bi-weekly
• Planning and prioritizing of tasks and projects approved by the
Day to Day
• Intranet Coordination (Intranet team/ Superusers)
• Meeting Frequency: quarterly
• Practical day-to-day coordination and status on the ongoing work.
A forced ’pause’ is a great opportunity for re-
focusing and getting your priorities straight and
focus on the right things.
Look at your to-do list – where’s the free stuff? In
LM Wind Power’s case
1. Internal Communication survey
2. Annual Intranet KPI report
3. Strategy, Vision, Mission review
4. Governance review
5. User Survey(s)
…but just don’t fall into the self-pity trap!
Sikandar Kumar Bansal