marks and spencer harwrd case soln (scmhrd,sidd)Presentation Transcript
Asian Financial Crisis
◦ Senior Directors replaced by promoted managers
◦ Leadership plan disrupted by the Queen’s Honours List
◦ Retail sales dropped and new competition in women’s
◦ Competitors’ goods were cheaper and of better quality
◦ No improvement in clothing revenues
◦ Series of layoffs
Food stores not favourably located
◦ Competitors using cheaper raw materials, sourced
UK has stable political scenario with no serious threat.
The tax system in the United Kingdom is among the most
attractive in the developed world with low corporate and
UK regulation of property constrained development of further
High Interest Rate
Appreciation of Pound against European currencies
The common UK consumer tends to be loyal
to a particular brand.
Demand high quality at competitive pricing.
M & S Charge card.
Impact of IT.
Diversified business portfolio
High Trust with Customers, Supplier, employees
by offering great values.
Strong Logistics & Dependable suppliers.
Strong brand equity
Direct Inspection & feed back by top managers.
Sourced goods from onshore which led to
Management was not stable.
Brand was not popular in North America.
Slower time to market.
Growing European & Asian Business.
Introduction of charge cards can provide the insights on
buying pattern of customers.
Unstable Asian Market.
Rise of Pound against European currencies.
Increase sale of Consumer electronics which
became a direct competitor.
Competitors offering high quality, greater
variety at cheaper rates.
Unwise Acquisition decision.
◦ Leadership team was reconstituted
◦ Couple of striking and unique appointments
◦ UK Retail team was being built
Three point program
◦ Total focus on UK Retail
Recovery plan for clothing
Expansion in growing areas like food, home & Beauty
Acceleration of store renewal program
More intensive use of space
100% own-brand policy
To design and supply a collection for more fashion-conscious women
Restructuring the supply base
Sub-branding in clothing to reflect more segmented lifestyle of its customers
◦ Program of value realization
◦ Return of 2 billion pounds to shareholders
- Focus on UK Retail and Financial Services
- Realize value
Vision, Mission, Values
- Quality, Value, Service, Innovation and
- Capital Restructuring
- Long term future Growth
Platform for exploitation of unique
Ways of Working
- 100% own brand
- Customer centric
- Command of Supply Chain
- Team work
- Economies of Scale
- Good incentivizing strategy
-Focus on Superior Quality & Innovation
Taken for changes in design & sourcing, better product, lower cost
and faster TTM
Zip (For children’s line)
◦ Eliminating duplication of cost
◦ Achieving faster TTM
◦ Convenience format located in high customer flow areas
◦ Stores targeted at two segments
◦ Good variety of products
◦ Sourcing directly
◦ Establishing consistency and coherence across the range
◦ Improving the card used by 3 mn people for greater services
◦ Re-establishing a tight relationship with customers
- Build unique
store location &
- Be one team
ent, listen and
A Great Place to
- At accessible
- Home store to - Innovation
- Simple and
- 100% own
- Command of
- Scale &
- Focus on
- Assisted Self
- Clear how we
each make a
- Build our
- Recognize &
Respect a job
- Be rewarded