1. 1. Ants don't sleep .
2. Owls have eyeballs that are tubular in shape, because of this, they
cannot move their eyes.
3. A bird requires more food in proportion to its size than a baby or a cat.
4. The mouse is the most common mammal in the US.
5. A newborn kangaroo is about 1 inch in length.
6. A cow gives nearly 200,000 glasses of milk in her lifetime.
7. The Canary Islands were not named for a bird called a canary.
Theywere named after a breed of large dogs. The Latin name was
Canariaeinsulae - quot;Island of Dogs.quot;
8. There are 701 types of pure breed dogs.
9. A polecat is not a cat. It is a nocturnal European weasel.
10. The animal responsible for the most human deaths world-wide is the
11. The biggest pig in recorded history was Big Boy of Black
Mountain,North Carolina, who was weighed at 1,904 pounds in 1939.
12. Cats respond most readily to names that end in an quot;eequot; sound.
13. A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot
seem to find tidbits on the floor.
14. Pigs, walruses and light-colored horses can be sunburned.
15. Snakes are immune to their own poison.
16. An iguana can stay under water for 28 minutes.
17. The ant always falls over on its right side when intoxicated.
18. The electric chair was invented by a dentist.
2. 19. The human heart creates enough pressure when it pumps out to the
body to Squirt blood 30 feet.
20. Wearing headphones for just an hour will increase the bacteria in
your ear By 700 times.
21. Cats have more than one hundred vocal sounds, while dogs only have
22. The biggest member of the cat family is the male lion, which weighs
528 pounds (240 kilograms).
23. Most lipstick contains fish scales.
24. Rats multiply so quickly that in 18 months, two rats could have over a
25. Each day in the US, animal shelters are forced to destroy 30,000 dogs
26. A shrimp's heart is in their head.
27. A pregnant goldfish is called a twit.
28. A cockroach will live nine days without its head, before it starves to
29. The cat lover is an ailurophile, while a cat hater is an ailurophobe.
30. A woodpecker can peck twenty times a second.
31. It may take longer than two days for a chick to break out of its shell.
32. Dragonflies are one of the fastest insects, flying 50 to 60 mph.
33. Despite man's fear and hatred of the wolf, it has not ever beenproved
that a non-rabid wolf ever attacked a human.
34. There are more than 100 million dogs and cats in the United States.
35. Americans spend more than 5.4 billion dollars on their pets each year.
3. 36. Cat's urine glows under a black light .
37. The largest cockroach on record is one measured at 3.81 inches in
38. It is estimated that a single toad may catch and eat as many as 10,000
insects in the course of a summer.
39. Amphibians eyes come in a variety shapes and sizes. Some even have
square or heart-shaped pupils.
40. It would require an average of 18 hummingbirds to weigh in at 1
41. Dogs that do not tolerate small children well are the St. Bernard,the
Old English sheep dog, the Alaskan malamute, the bull terrier, andthe toy
42. Moles are able to tunnel through 300 feet of earth in a day.
43. Howler monkeys are the noisiest land animals. Their calls can be
heard over 2 miles away.
44. A quarter of the horses in the US died of a vast virus epidemic in 1872.
45. The fastest bird is the Spine-tailed swift, clocked at speeds of up to
220 miles per hour.
46. There is no single cat called the panther. The name is
commonlyapplied to the leopard, but it is also used to refer to the puma
andthe jaguar. A black panther is really a black leopard. A capon is
47.The world's largest rodent is the Capybara. An Amazon water hog
thatlooks like a guinea pig, it can weigh more than 100 pounds.
48. The poison-arrow frog has enough poison to kill about 2,200 people.
49. The hummingbird, the loon, the swift, the kingfisher, and the grebe
are all birds that cannot walk.
50. The poisonous copperhead snake smells like fresh cut cucumbers.