The Statistical Services Centre is attached to the Department of Applied Statistics at
The University of Reading, UK, and undertakes training and consultancy work on a
non-profit-making basis for clients outside the University.
These statistical guides were originally written as part of a contract with DFID to give
guidance to research and support staff working on DFID Natural Resources projects.
The available titles are listed below.
• Statistical Guidelines for Natural Resources Projects
• On-Farm Trials – Some Biometric Guidelines
• Data Management Guidelines for Experimental Projects
• Guidelines for Planning Effective Surveys
• Project Data Archiving – Lessons from a Case Study
• Informative Presentation of Tables, Graphs and Statistics
• Concepts Underlying the Design of Experiments
• One Animal per Farm?
• Disciplined Use of Spreadsheets for Data Entry
• The Role of a Database Package for Research Projects
• Excel for Statistics: Tips and Warnings
• The Statistical Background to ANOVA
• Moving on from MSTAT (to Genstat)
• Some Basic Ideas of Sampling
• Modern Methods of Analysis
• Confidence & Significance: Key Concepts of Inferential Statistics
• Modern Approaches to the Analysis of Experimental Data
• Approaches to the Analysis of Survey Data
• Mixed Models and Multilevel Data Structures in Agriculture
The guides are available in both printed and computer-readable form. For copies or for
further information about the SSC, please use the contact details given below.
Statistical Services Centre, The University of Reading
P.O. Box 240, Reading, RG6 6FN United Kingdom
tel: SSC Administration +44 118 931 8025
fax: +44 118 975 3169