Removing background for hair images is always very frustrating, but its not so difficult to do if some steps can be followed. A step by step tutorial can make you feel relax for removing background from hair image in photoshop.
Transcript of " How to Remove Background From Hair Image?"
How to Remove Background From Hair Image?
Previously I have written another tutorial on how to use Photoshop pen tool
toremove background from product and now I am thinking it is extremely
frustrating when you have a picture that portrays an image with lots of
flowing hair and you want to change or remove background from hair
image. Photoshop enables one to use an image masking technique to remove the
background from your image. The following is my newstep by step process
how to accomplish the background removal technique from the hair image.
Trying to remove all this hair can be a nightmare. So here is what you need to do.
Using the background eraser tool makes life a little bit easier. So let’s get
straight into it.
1. First thing we want to do is remove some of the background.So you need
to open the layer palette (Windows>Layers).
2. You might need to unlock it (just double click on the layer until it opens).
A little box will come up and just press OK and you are good.
3. Next, you will be using the eraser tool to delete some of the background
(mine happens to be white). By removing most of the background color,
it saves you time.
4. You will go all the way around the image on both sides as close as you can
to the hair, it should appear checkered.
5. Next you will want to add a new layer, go the bottom right hand side and
click on new layer.
6. Then go back to the bottom and choose icon adjustments. Left click on
that and choose solid color.
7. When the color comes up, I would choose a dark color, dark blue etc. It’s
so I can see if there are any white bits left in background.
8. Now we are going to get rid of all that white and make it whatever color
9. Now go back to the background eraser tool to the left hand side of the
10. Go to the top of the page to the brush size, where the options are set. I
have it at 100 but you can use smaller if you want, (ie.70), and use a
soft edge. Then go just to the right and click on sample 1, the middle
11. The limits just to the right of that are set at discontinuous.
12. Next to that is tolerance, set a 50%. Then protect foreground color follows
make sure to check that.
13. Now you will click on a white bit with the left mouse button held down,
clicking on the white bit and go in and all around the hair as you
continue to hold down the mouse. You are using sampling 1, so it is the
dark blue color you originally chose.
14. Continue all the way around, don’t get too far into the hair just the white
15. You should have taken out most of the white except for a tiny white
outline around the edge of the hair.
16. Now if you choose to change the color, double click on layer thumbnail of
color fill 1layer and a box will pop up.
17. Maybe you want to try a lighter color; if you do use a lighter color then
you would not see the white edging.
18. However if you use darker colors then you see the white bits at the edge.
19. Go to the left hand side again and select the burn tool (the little hand
holding fingers together).
20. Go back to the layer and then at the top where it says range, you select
midtones and exposure 100%.
21. Then you use the tool to go over all the edges of the hair, darkening them
up, getting rid of some of the white.
22. Now that most of the white edge has been removed, you can use any
number of dark background colors, no problem.
If it is finished you can click OK and you are done.If the background were multi
colored it would be more difficult. But there you have it.
This is a tutorial on how to remove background around hair using Photoshop
CS5, but other versions will work too. Also you can read my tutorial on how
toremove background from product image using Photoshop.
So there you have it, a straightforward method of removing background from the
Hair Image. This simple process can also be used to add different
backgrounds to your image as well.
Tutorial published on
About the author:
Rokaiya Yeasmin Munni
Graphic Designer, SEO Specialist and Deputy Manager
At Outsource Experts Ltd, which is the mother company
Clipping Path India