If everyone is moving forward together then the success
takes care of itself.
To co-ordinate is to HARMONIZE all the activities of a concern
so as to facilitate its working and its success.
Co-ordination is the orderly synchronization of efforts to provide the
proper amount, timing, and directing of execution in harmonious and
unified actions to a stated objective.
• Synchronization of efforts
Coordination is the management of interdependence in work
• Management of interdependence
Coordination is the ability to perform smooth, accurate and controlled
• Controlled movements
Characteristic Features of Coordination
Co-ordination is not a distinct function but the very essence of management.
Co-ordination is the basic responsibility of management and it can be achieved through the
Co-ordination does not arise spontaneously or by force.
The heart of co-ordination is “unity of action”.
Co-ordination is a dynamic process.
Co-ordination is required in group efforts ,not in individual effort.
Co-ordination has a common purpose of getting organizational objectives accomplished.
NEED AND IMPORTANCE OF COORDINATION
• Improve the efficiency of operations by avoiding overlapping
efforts and duplication of work.
• Quality of coordination determines the effectiveness of
• Helps to ensure unity of action in the face of disruptive forces.
• Helps unity of action and helps to avoid conflicts between line
and staff elements
• Helps to improve team spirit and morale of employees.
• Organizational goals and personal goals of people are
• Coordination is all inclusive concept and the end result of
• Coordination helps in the accomplishment of organizational
Signs & Symptoms of the Lack of Coordination in an
Spend double the
effort, material and
time to produce the
same item twice
Create a cascading
By implementing an
system for the
effectiveness of the
A Little story
About coordination and each one’s responsibility
There is a story about four (4) imaginary characters named
Everybody, Somebody, Anybody, & Nobody.
There was an important job to be done and Everybody was
sure that Somebody would do it.
Anybody could have done it but Nobody did it.
Somebody got angry about that because it was
Everybody thought Anybody could do it, but Nobody
realized that Everybody wouldn’t do it.
It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when
Nobody did what Anybody could have done