The music press intro to a levelPresentation Transcript
Your task, to be completed with evaluation by
The front page, contents and double page spread of
a new music magazine.
All images and text used must be original, produced
by the candidate, minimum of FOUR images.
• Popular music magazines have played a
key role in the emergence of rock and
pop styles since the mid-1950s.
• These publications have reported and
reflected musical trends from Elvis
Presley to Eminem, the Beatles to Lady
• They have become more than mere
mirrors to pop culture: they have also
helped to shape the way music is heard
and the way music is consumed.
Issues to consider…
• 1. The relationship between the print
media and the industry.
• 2. The role of the writer and critic as
• 3. There has been a long running
struggle between the inkies and the
glossies, who is winning and why? Are
any of them in the digital age?
• 4. In recent years, the mainstream
press has taken an increasing interest in
pop and rock matters.
• 5. How have digital outlets brought
changes to this field?
• 6. What are the different ways in which
writers and journalists in this sector
express their critical views?
• 7. The relationship between the music
industry and the media publications.
• 8. What do magazines cover and how do
they express their ideas?
• 9. Style and content analysis.
• 11. How far is rock
writing concerned with
issues of the artistic and
aesthetic and how far
does it have to toe the
line of the corporate
• 10. Consider the
ideological functions of
this kind of publication.
What social, cultural
and even political
messages can we
recognise beyond the
headlines and images?
• 11. How far is rock writing concerned
with issues of the artistic and aesthetic
and how far does it have to toe the line
of the corporate industry?
• After we have researched the music
press from these viewpoints you will
then create your own;
• Front page,
• Double page spread
• With a house style and definitive