Major Infrastructures and e-government-
related Initiatives in Addis Ababa city
• Major Infrastructures in Addis Ababa
- Construction of Roads & Water projects
-Other Private investments
• e-government -related Initiatives in Addis Ababa
Major City Profile
• Capital city of Ethiopia
• Seat of the African Union and the United Nations
Economic Commissions for Africa
• Gate-way for diplomats and tourists
• Population about 3 million
• Area 540 square kilometer ( 54000 hectare)
• Average Elevation is 2500m above sea level
• Three layers of government: City Government at the
top, 10 sub-city Administrations in the middle, and
116 districts at the bottom.
116 districts A/Population ≈ 30,000
Sub-cities:- 10 Population ≈ 300,000
City Government of Addis Ababa:
Population ≈ 3 Million
Major Infrastructures in Addis Ababa
Housing development projects
• Now a days over 200,000 condominium houses
are under Construction.
• Over 300,000 houses are transferred to the
people, specially, to the lower & middle classes
• A number of real estate developers have been
estabilished. As a result over 1000 houses are
Construction of Roads & Water projects
• To improve the coverage of roads in Addis Ababa city
government allocates budgets annually in billions of
Ethiopian birr. As a result the traffic management in the
city become improving.
• City rail way is under construction.
• To improve water supply in Addis Ababa over 30
underground water development projects are under
• When these projects are completed the coverage of
water supply become 610,000 m3 in a day.
Other Private investments
• As a result of free market policy in Ethiopia private
institutions like Hospitals, Schools, Collages, Universities,
Factories, International hotels & other commercial
institutions are Constructed, & also they are under
e-government activities in Addis Ababa
• In each secondary schools in Addis Ababa
teaching & learning process is conducted in
• Most of the time training to the leaders of
districts & civil servants is given in plasma.
• Sub cities report their monthly performance to
the mayor by using ICT called plasma.
• Standard Integrated Government Tax
Administration System & Integrated Budget &
Expenditure Management is supported by ICT.
• But as such different activities in the city are not
supported by ICT.
Example:- Traffic & Land Management System