Math Lesson Days 3, 4 and 5Presentation Transcript
1st Grade Mathematics Day 3, 4, and 5: Single Digit Addition and Grouping. Ms. Shragal’s Class
Table of Contents
Read Book: Domino Addition by Lynette Long (10 minutes)
Lessons on Single Digit Addition and going to the tally system website (20 minutes)
Play the game found in the Domino Addition book. (15 minutes)
In Class Math Game on Single Digit Addition:
The Soda-Pop-A-Top Game (25 minutes)
Jelly Bean Counting Game (20 minutes)
Video Lesson on Addition ( 1:14 minutes)
Lesson on Grouping (20 minutes)
Review Activity Sheet’s on Grouping: Writing Addition Problems and Add the Buttons (25 minutes)
Day 3: Single Digit Addition
We are going to spend about 10 minutes reading the boo k, Domino Addition by Lynette Long. At the end of the day we will play the game found at the end of the book for about 15 minutes.
We are going to begin with a lesson on single digit addition.
Single Digit Addition We are going to try these simple addition problems as a class, using the tally mark system. Numbers 1 + 1= 2 I + I = II 1 + 2= 3 I + II = III 2 + 3 = 5 II + III = IIIII 3 + 5= 8 III + IIIII = IIIII III 5 + 4 = 9 IIIII+ IIII= IIIII IIII 5 + 5=10 IIIII+ IIIII= IIIII IIIII Words One+Two= Three Two+Three= Five Three+Five= Eight Five+Four= Nine One+One= Two Five+Five=Ten
Single Digit Addition Con’t
We are going to as a class go to the url http://www.ideal-resources.com.au/products/maths_pack/Maths%20Pack%202%20Web/mathspack2/tally/tally.swf and review the evaluation only tally system.
Single Addition Con’t
There are 8 pieces of fruit in my lunchbox. Some of them are apples and some of them are peaches. How many of each could there be?
Single Addition Con’t
Now we are going to spend about 15 minutes playing the game found at the end of the Domino Addition book by Lynette Long.
Day 4: Soda-Pop-A-Top Math Game: Reviewing Single Digit Addition
1. We will be working on addition math problems.
2. I will be placing you into groups of 5.
3. I will be putting the numbers 1-20 on soda pop caps.
4. I will then pull a number from the bag and will call out the number. I will then put the soda cap back into the bag.
5. Every student will write the number on their piece of paper.
6. Then another soda cap will be pulled out and called again.
7. Every student will write this number down as well.
8.Then I will ask each group to wok together as a team and solve the problem.
9. We will only be working with single digit addition problems. For example, 3+4 =7
10. The first group to get an answer will raise their hand and we will review as a class to see if it is right.
In Class Math Game: Jelly Bean Counting Game
1. I will put 6 jelly beans in every student’s cup.
2. Each jelly bean will have a number that could range from 1 to 20 painted on one side.
3. Every student will make 10 addition problems with the jelly beans.
4. Every student will write out their 10 addition problems on a sheet of loose leaf paper.
5. Every student will turn in their addition problems at the end of the math lesson.
Day 5: Addition Grouping
We are going to begin by watching a video clip at the following url on addition. http://www.teachertube.com/viewVideo.php?video_id=43391&title=Lesson_on_Addition .