1. Industrial Technology Sample HSC Questions This booklet contains a number of questions in the style of HSC questions for Section III of the new Industrial Technology Exam format. K e l l y B a u e r
2. Exam Structure: Section 1 10 Marks Multiple Choice Industry Specific Tools and Equipment (ie, Multimedia stuff) Section II 15 marks Short Answers Industry Specific Tools and Equipment (ie, Multimedia stuff) Section III 15 marks Extended Industry Study Response Content Hints for answering the essay questions Write as much as you can in the time that you have. There is no reason why you should finish an Industrial Tech (or any exam really) early. The time is allocated for students based on a formula of 2 minutes per mark. Remember that it is an extended response. The Board specifies approx 600 words for this section. Make yours stand out beyond that. Write an essay plan and write it within your answer booklet. This shouldn’t take you more than a minute, but it will mean that you won’t forget your arguments within your essay, and you can always go back to it for help. Also, your essay plan can be helpful for markers to orient themselves, and can also be marked if you don’t get around to mentioning all the points in your essay. You must know and answer to the key words. Discuss requires positives and negatives, explain is cause and effect, analyse requires you to relate between components/considerations. Use trigger words to identify when you are answering to the key term. Eg…a positive of this is…the effect of this is… Watch out for AND, OR and plurals of words. Eg “Discuss the considerations that are needed to be considered..” means that you need to discuss more than one consideration. You always have to answer ALL parts of the question. Unless indicated by the key word, don’t spend more time on one part of the If you get a HOW, WHAT, WHERE, WHY, look at the amount of marks allocated for the question. This will help you determine what depth you are required to go to. Know the dot points and where they are located within the considerations. For example, if you are asked to talk about Structural and Personnel considerations, and you spend your whole essay talking about OHS, then you won’t get any marks for it unless you can somehow link this to Personnel. PPE is required by all workers…this can then be linked to requirements of the employers which can then be linked to contract requirements and unions. (be careful of doing this though, as it’s much easier to link to obvious things within the dot points. Link to the question. Make every point link back to the question, and make sure that it is specific “this effects the introduction of new technology by…” Regurgitating the dot points will get you very low level marks.
3. 1a The fire alarm at IND TECH industries has just gone off. Outline 5 what processes staff and management should go through. b After this incident occurs, IND TECH decides to review policy 10 regarding Occupational Health and Safety in the workplace. Discuss the issues that management need to consider. 2 Discuss the issues that the management of the company needs 12 to consider before the introduction of new technology 3 Bob and Tut have established a successful restaurant in 10 operation for twenty five years. Bob and Tut have an equal share in their restaurant. However in the past 3 financial years, the owners have noticed a decline in business profits. They have put this down to the ramifications of the global financial crisis and stronger competition. Outline strategies which bob and tut could implement to grow their business profits. 4 Megan and Clara run a small record store near a major shopping 8 mall in the big city. The store itself cant contain much stock and must rent (monthly) a room above the store to keep most of the merchandise. Their main market are followers of the Indie scene. Their Competitors, The Owl Service also run a record store not far (around 1km away) from Megan and Claras and also have more customers. The Owl Service specialise in popular and mainstream music that everyone likes nowadays. Recently, Megan and Clara have been seeing a a huge decline in customers and are getting very worried that their business may have to be shut down. What are some structural and sociological factors Megan and Clara must consider to improve their client base? 5 Leotech have been the mass producers of not only the latest in 10 technology but also a majority of the pollution in Leocity. Due to countless lawsuits and a multitude of protests from the Leocitizens, Leotech have decided to go green and invest in future developments being more environmentally friendly. In doing so the company must also add more workers who specify in such a field. Identitify and evaluate the positive and negative effects which may occur due to these new changes.
4. 6 Felicia and her husband, Gary, have started a partnership in a 12 multimedia website that is beginning to get bigger and bigger. They work from home but with only two of them, it is hard to maintain the growing company. What are some changes that will need to implemented for the company to continue to strive? 7 The Gabztech is a well-‐known company. Although they produce 10 quality material, they are known to have poor work culture, no one seems to like working there. Recently, this work culture has been evident in a downtown of quality in what is being produced. What strategies can be put into place to improve quality of their products. 8 Ben and Johnson are owners of the company Shakesp-‐it-‐ 12 upTECH, they produce toy models of dead poets and playwrights. In recent times, popularity has slowed down dramatically due to the repetitiveness in their models and poets. They are considering expanding their range to interactive/speaking models that recite poems and walk around. Discuss the structural and technical factors they must consider before making this change. 9 Bob and Greg have started a lemonade stall on the side of a 10 street, there business has expanded into a full time stall in the city. Bob and Greg now have enough money to open up a store. Discuss things that they will need to consider in this new business. 10 Darla and Steve have created a unique new product they believe 8 that this product will have a competive advantage in the market. In order to take up this opportunity, discuss some of the strategies that need to be in place for this to work. 11 Anthony and Ian are independant filmmakers and are in a 15 partnership called "Dark Moon", where they work in a home that they both share together. They decide that moving to a bigger workplace will help them in their business. Discuss the impacts of moving to another location, considering the technical and structural factors they could implement in their relocation. 12 Jack & Jill want to expand their now successful shoe company, 10 from a small street side store to a store in the local shopping mall. Discuss the impacts of moving the store to another location. Consider the structural and technical issues.
5. 13 James and Jim are both owners of a small business called 12 JimesTech, as of late their businesss profit levels have been decreasing. They have decided to relocate their business in an effort to improve their sales and increase profits. What are some of the structural and technical factors Jimes Tech need to consider before relocating and explain how these factors affect their business. 14 Bill and Jill have been running a friend chicken joint for 5 or so 15 years now, seeing as theyve been successful with the past years, wanted to open a franchise in another location. Discuss the impacts of another franchise opening. 15 Lucas and Lucas has been a successful IndTech firm for over a 12 hundred years. In the past 20 years business has been falling away because customers are going to alternative firms. What are some of the changes Lucas and Lucas could implement to update and compete with other firms. 16 Andrew has decided to change from a sole trader to a partnership in order to have more capital. Discuss things that he 10 needs to consider in this move, and make a recommendation as to what should be done. 17 The Soldatos-‐Inc has invented a new machine that helps the 10 company function BUT its going to threaten the environment. It gives out too much fumes, while being used and it used way too much energy and materials for it to function. What must Soldatos-‐Inc do to prevent this and to help keep the environment healthy?