Clinical features of gingivaPresentation Transcript
Clinical features of
submitted to :-
submitted by :-
Bds 3rd prof
• Gingiva is part of oral mucosa that covers
the alveolar processes of jaws and surrounds
the neck of the tissue .
• Composed of thin outer epithelium and
underlying connective tissue .
• Consist of four anatomical portions –
Gingival sulcus , Free
gingiva, Interdental gingiva and attached
• Texture of Gingiva – healthy gums have
stippled ,translucent appearance.
- orange peel appearance .
• Colour of Gingiva-coral pink
-depends on the thickness and degree of
keratinization of epithelium, blood flow to
gingiva ,disease and medication ,natural
• Contour of Gingiva-scalloped and knife edge
• Size of Gingiva-correspong with sum total
of the bulk of cellular and intercellular
elements and their vascular supply.
ANATOMIC LANDMARKS OF THE
• Its a V shaped notch .
• Bounded by surface of tooth on
one side and epithelium lining
the free margin of gingiva on
the other side.
• Clinical evaluation used to determine
the depth of gingival sulcus is throw
metallic instrument called peridontal probe
• Probing or clinical probing depth is depth of
penetration of probe and it is 2-3mm in
gingival sulcus in humans .
• In histological section depth
is 1.8mm with variation from
• Also called as free or unattached gingiva .
• Surrounds the tooth in collarlike/cufflike
• Characteristic – fits closely around but not
directly attached to the tooth-also form
soft tissue wall
of the gingival
• It is 1mm wide .
• Free Gingiva is demarcated
from adjacent attached
gingiva by shallow linear
depression that follows the
Contour of the tooth called
‘ marginal groove ’.
•it can be separated from
tooth surface by
peridontal probe .
• Part of gingiva tightly connected to periosteum of
alveolar bone .
• Lies between the two movable tissue .
• Colour- pale
• Width- widest in incisor and molar region
and narrowest in premolar region .
• Premolar= maxilla-1.9mm
• It occupies the gingival embrasure .
• Gingival embrasure is the interproximal
space beneath the area of tooth contact .
•It is of two shape pyramidal and ‘’col’’ shape .
•‘’col’’ is a valley like depression that connects
a facial and lingual papilla .
• ‘’col’’ in various types of contacts .
• The shape of interdental gingiva depends on
the contact point between the two adjoining
teeth and presence or absence of some
degree of recession .
Interdental col in
normal gingiva –
• In diastema,the gingiva is firmly bound
over the interdental bone and the
interdental papilla will be absent.