The “ENT WITH NO PERFORMING ARTS LIKE SENTHIL SIR MENTIONED IN THE PAPER” Quiz
0th Question X and Y are two self pompous asses. While Y uses proper grammar and spelling while typing , X tends to repeat letters. X is a to-be business analyst and Y is an America Mapla. X's nickname means a horse which is grown for the sake of mating and Y's nickname reflects the shape of his head. They have common interests which will take the next two hours to specify. X is a “PLOD”er while Y “DOPP”es. Their recent achievements includes Moshing and working with photoshop
In memory of Ronnie James Dio, hyperlinks are represented by m/ Each set contains ten questions on Infy and one LVC at the end The long forgotten connect questions have come back to haunt you A few of the questions might be a tribute to some member of CQC. But almost all of the questions are dedicated to the Bhansalis Hope you guys have fun and hope we live up to the hype
LOUIS, I THINK THIS IS THE BEGINNING OF A BEAUTIFUL QUIZ!!!
1. A sitter to start off the quiz X is poised to be the local version of Mile Sur MeraTumhara. The video is directed by GauthamVasudevMenon who promises it to be an audio/visual treat. More than 50 top notch artists from different genres have participated in this rare special confluence. Some names include T. M. Soundararajan, P. Suseela, ArunaSairam, NithyasreeMahadevan, Bombay Jayashri, Karthik, ShrutiHaasan. The director’s favourite shot is one where all the performers gather by the Kanyakumari sea, against an elegant backdrop reading “______________________”
SemmozhiyaanaTamizhmozhiyaam - The official theme for the World Tamil Conference
2. “DAILY HOWL" was created in 1957 when X attended Quarry Bank High School. The comic is a parody of events at that time and also contains black comedies. There are army ads saying "we are one big happy family" with a picture of soldiers dropping their heads while marching, which gives a feeling of antiwar ideas. It would appear that X's humor and idea of Love & Peace began to grow from a young age. (Pic on next slide)
3. If this movie was the first, then which was the second?
Beauty and the beast was the first animated movie to be nominated for oscar in best picture category
4. Shankar Ganesh was a Coimbatore guy who studied a diploma course. He was aged 26. On jan 5 2010 his popularity increased immensely. Why?
He released the workprint version of the movie before its release.
5. ID the voice.
7. Twilight star Robert Pattinson is slated to play X (much to my disgust) in his Hollywood biopic. Pattinson apparently "has always thought of himself as a musician rather than an actor" and so the role is "ideal for the pin-up“. Scarlett johansson is reported to be playing X’s “LOVE” and David fincher of Fight club and many more, is directing it. Identify X and the movie name if possible
Question courtesy : Quizzerman 8. An Alan Smithee Film: Burn Hollywood Burn was made in 1997 and released in 1998. It was regarded as one of the worst films of all time, and won five Razzies. The film had an estimated budget of $10 million and grossed $45,779, which, accounting for inflation, is less than Plan 9 from Outer Space (often labelled "The Worst Film Ever Made") made during its release, despite featuring special appearances from Jackie Chan, Sylvester Stallone and Whoopi Goldberg, and having Ryan O’Neal and Eric Idle in lead roles. The question is, who/what exactly is Alan Smithee?
Alan Smithee (also Allen Smithee) is an official pseudonym used by film directors who wish to disown a project. Until its use was formally discontinued in 2000,it was the sole pseudonym used by members of the Directors Guild of America (DGA) when a director dissatisfied with the final product proved to the satisfaction of a guild panel that he or she had not been able to exercise creative control over a film. The director was also required by guild rules not to discuss the circumstances leading to the move or even to acknowledge being the actual director.
9. This is one of his favorite catchphrases. He uses it when he doesn't have money to buy food. It first made an appearance in 1932. This phrase is now commonly used to illustrate fiscal irresponsibility and still appears in modern comedies such as The Drew Carey Show and The Office. The good phrase?
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today!
10. During World War II, "pinup" girls were painted onto the sides of WWII planes and bombers. This gave rise to a term called X to denote those pinup girls. X?
The answer is.. 15 reasons to not watch tamil cinema.
M AMA ALWAYS SAIDA QUIZ WAS LIKE ABOX OF CHOCOLATES. YOU NEVER KNOWWHAT YOU’REGONNA GET
11. Who comes next?
Real life characters played by Russell Crowe.
12. X is a small city of around 12000 people in Italy. After the Arab conquest of southern Italy, the town was dominated by Arabs, who gave it the name Qurlayun. The towns people were known as “Courageous Civitas” because of its position on the front line in all wars. The town was also infamous for its numerous criminal activities. The town became famous in 1969 when _______ used this in his works. X?
Corleone. Apparently, Al Pacino’s grandparents are from Corleone. Coincidence???
13. The Hindu came up with an article describing a phenomenon as to why movies of Mammooty and Mohanlal who have been the two great icons of Malayalam cinema for the past decade and a half, have started crashing at the box-office. The ______ ________, made on a shoestring budget of Rs. 20-25 lakhs, has ravaged the star system. These have eaten into the collection of big budget and superstar movies. Last year out of the 89 films released, 57 were _________ _______! This virtually sounded the death knell of the small hero films. ________ _________ have even been dubbed in asamese.
Shakeela padam! A picture wouldn’t be appropriate, we thought. Cough.
Clue if all teams agree 14. The album A-Lex by Sepultura is based on X (a novel and a film). The song names and lyrics contain some reference to X. The title is a pun on the lead character and when translated in Latin means “Without law” or “Breaking the law” (The attitude of the lead character ?!?).
All songs were composed by Sepultura except one song which was based on Beethoven’s 9th symphony
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
POTC ships The flying dutchman The Black Pearl Endeavour
16. X is a movie which made many breakthroughs when it was released. The protagonist of the movie is Y. Recently as a retrospective to Y under the category "Director in focus", the film was screened at the International Film Festival in Rotterdam. We know the director of the movie in a different context in the world of cinema.
17. X is best documented in cases where a person has had the two hemispheres of their brain surgically separated, a procedure sometimes used to relieve the symptoms of extreme cases of epilepsy. It also occurs in some cases after other brain surgery, strokes, or infections. It is an unusual neurological disorder in which the sufferer's ______ seem to take on a mind of its own. The _______ has the capability of acting autonomously and can perform complex actions. Sometimes the sufferer will not be aware of what is going on until it is brought to his or her attention.
The Dr. Strangelove syndrome or Alien hand syndrome
18. The 50th Law grew out of the friendship and mutual admiration between X and Robert Greene. Greene has said he was surprised by X's persona and was impressed by his "zen-like calmness" and eye for strategy. The central theme of the book is fearlessness and also covers the life of X as a singer. X uses his stage name as a metaphor for change. The book also showcases his childhood incident where he was shot nine times at close range but survived miraculously.
19. Identify Gaad
20. X was the composer for the music used during the 1996 Miss World contest held in Bangalore. His debut movie was also Koundamani’s debut movie as an actor. He is also a talented poet and has written many books such as Paal nila Paathai, Vazhithunai, Gnagna Ganga, Unmaikku Thirai Yethu? He has composed a raga called Panchamuki in which just 3 notes namely Sa Re Ga is used. X? (Clue on next slide)
And the answer is…
The Horn and Hoof flag used in Animal Farm. Floyd’s album Animals is based on the book. Tea Set, Megadeath and Six Sigma were their previous names. Floyd’s album Ummagumma makes use of the Droste Effect. They were famous for acid tripping on Lysergic acid diethylamide. Stephen Hawking narrates in the song Keep Talking. The film More’s soundtrack was composed by Pink Floyd. The official Pink Floyd Comic Progressive and Psychedelic genre of music. Pink anderson and floyd council from whom they named the band. The Wall
A QUIZZER ONCE TRIED TO TEST ME. I ATE HIS LIVER WITH SOME NICE FAVA BEANS AND A NICE CHIANTI.
21. X is a career foreign service officer and a specialist in Far Eastern affairs. He had a Thai wife named Dao and two children named Joshua and Alyssa in Phnom Penh who were inadvertently killed during the Vietnam War. Since he had nothing left, X went to Saigon and elected to train for an elite Top Secret Special Forces unit called Medusa. In Medusa, X was known only as Delta One, his code name within the unit. We know him better as Y. X and Y
David Webb and Jason Bourne
Star crossed lovers
23. X is a professional boxer who turned to acting. He quit boxing after the severe concussions he had and the numerous injuries. He became hugely popular after his performance as Randy “The Ram” Robinson. (Pic in next slide) His entrance music during his boxing days was Guns and Roses’ “Sweet Child of Mine”
6 Wins (4 knockouts, 2 decisions), 0 Losses, 2 Draws Rd., Time Res. Record Opponent Type Date Location Notes Scoring was 37-39 forGibbons, 38-38 and 38-38. September 8, 1994 Draw 6-0-2 Sean Gibbons Majority draw 4 Davie, Florida, USA November 20, 1993 Win 6-0-1 Thomas McCoy TKO 3 (4) Hamburg, Germany Win 5-0-1 Bubba Stotts TKO 3 (4) July 24, 1993 Joplin, Missouri Win 4-0-1 Tom Bentley KO 1 (4) March 30, 1993 Kansas City, Missouri December 12, 1992 Win 3-0-1 Terry Jesmer Decision 4 Oviedo, Spain 1 (4), 2:14 Win 2-0-1 Darrell Miller KO June 23, 1991 Tokyo, Japan Scoring was 38-39 forHarris, 38-38 and 38-38. Draw 1-0-1 Francisco Harris Majority draw 4 April 25, 1992 Miami Beach, Florida, Scoring was 38-37, 38-37and 39-37. Unanimous decision Win 1-0 Steve Powell 4 May 23, 1991 Fort Lauderdale, Florida,
Mickey Rourke. He uses the same song as his intro music in the movie Wrestler.
24. ID the singer
They all 'inspired' Kamal Haasan. What about Bob? - Thenali Butterflies are free - Raja paarvai Mrs.Doubtfire - you know what Life of david gale - Virumandi
26. The term "X" came into use in the early eighties American hardcore scene in Washington, D.C. Vocalist H.R. (Paul Hudson) of the band Bad Brains, regarded as a band that "put X on the map," used the term "Y" in lyrics and show stage banter to both incite and describe the aggressive and often violent dancing of the scene. To "Y it up" was to go wild with the frenzy of the music. Due to his affected Jamaican-accented pronunciation of the word, fans heard this as X instead. What's the word?
27. It is the story of two armed military commandos named Bill and Lance , who are sent on a mission to neutralize a terrorist organization called Red Falcon that is secretly planning to take over the Earth. the Japanese versions the setting to be a fictional Oceania archipelago of Galuga in the futuristic year of 2633 whereas the American version sets the game during the present in an unnamed South American island. The American storyline also changes the identity of "Red Falcon" from being the name of a terrorist organization to the name of an alien entity. Bill and Lance use four guns - a Machine Gun, a Laser Gun, a Fire Gun, and a Spread Gun What are we talking about?
28. The Times of India 'A Day in the Life of Chennai' ad has won India its first Gold Lions in the film category in Cannes. David Lubars, president of films jury and chief singled out the background song as a special mention. "Any other song wouldn't have done," he said. Andrea Stillaci, a jury member, said he was blown away when he heard the song. "Mixing social life, politics and amazing music in justone minute... It's fabulous," he said. JWT Senthil Kumar, the director of the same said "It represents the taste and smell of Chennai and is a Tamil folk expression urging people to let their hair down and dance like it’s your last"
What’s the good word? 29. The original term schtroumpf and the accompanying language came during a meal Peyo was having with his colleague and friend André Franquin in which, having momentarily forgotten the word "salt" Peyo asked him (in French) to pass the schtroumpf. Franquin replied: "Here's the Schtroumpf — when you are done schtroumpfing, schtroumpf it back" and the two spent the rest of that weekend speaking in schtroumpf language. The name was later translated as _______ into Dutch, which was adopted in English. A characteristic of the ______ language is the frequent use of the word ____ and its derivatives in a variety of meanings. The _____ replace enough nouns and verbs in everyday speech with ______ as to make their conversations barely understandable: "We're going ______ on the River _______ today." When used as a verb, the word “_____" typically means "to make," "to be," "to laugh," or "to do."
30. X and the creator Y have a common connection in that they are both the sons of barbers, but whereas Y's work is described as the "most shining example of the American success story", X is an example of "the great American un-success story" in that he fails in almost everything he does.X and y?
Charlie Brown and Schulz
Daphne Du Maurier
Clue if all teams agree "Look" was a 2007 movie by Adam Rifkin with the tagline "Every one has secrets." It had a lukewarm response at the box office. However 3 years later, this film has been under spotlight again. Why?
LSD – Love Sex aur dhokha
The ___________ effect is an unsettling in-camera special effect that appears to undermine normal visual perception in film. The effect is achieved by using the setting of a zoom lens to adjust the angle of view (often referred to as field of view) while the camera ____ (or moves) towards or away from the subject in such a way as to keep the subject the same size in the frame throughout. Thus, during the zoom, there is a continuous perspective distortion, the most directly noticeable feature being that the background appears to change size relative to the subject.
The dolly zoom
“ It might be a Scottish name, taken from a story about two men in a train. One man says, "What's that package up there in the baggage rack?" And the other answers, "Oh that's a X." The first one asks, "What's a X?" "Well," the other man says, "It's an apparatus for trapping lions in the Scottish Highlands." The first man says, "But there are no lions in the Scottish Highlands," and the other one answers "Well, then that's no X!" So you see, a X is nothing at all. “ what is X?
X lighting in film is a spotlight that accentuates a single person in a scene. It creates an 'angelic' shot, such as one where God is shining down and a light shines down onto this person. X lighting derives its name from the art form in which a light relief figure is set against a darker background. It is often achieved by using barn-doored spotlights. It helps focus on the subject and not its environment.
These are a collection of pictures which was published in an issue of Vanity Fair. What is unique about these portofolio shots when compared to the other ones?
Alfred hitchcock dedications
Alfie Daphne Du Maurier's three books were made into Hitchcock movies, Rebecca, Birds and Jamaica Inn. LSD – Voyeurism Dolly zoom or vertigo zoom - The vertigo. Macguffins - introduced by hitchcock. Cameo lighting - Cameos.
HASTA LA VISTA, BABY
31. The main characters are based on James Headley Chase’s Vic Malloy and Jack Kerman. Some of the actor’s who portrayed them include Jaishankar and Rajnikanth as X. Vijay Athiraj and Y.G Mahendran as Y. But the widely concluded statement is that none of them portrayed the characters to their actual greatness. The best suited personality for X and Y are said to be oviyar Jeyaraj’s creations. Who am I talking about?
Sujata’s Ganesh and Vasanth
32. What is this a list of? Jury foreman Vendor of a hotdog stand Pulling a little girl away from falling debris. Security guard Willie Lumpkin, the mail carrier Waterhose man Man in Times Square
List of Stan Lee Cameos.
33. He is a half canadian poet, song writer. He won the songwriter of the year award in 2010. His voice and style have been compared to Eminem but his subject matter is very different. According to him, he makes "urgent music with a message". In an interview he once quoted - "All Somalis know that gangsterism isn't to brag about. The kids that I was growing up with would wear baggy pants, and a little jacket or something, and they'd walk into school, and all the cool kids would be like, 'Ah, man, look at these Somalis. Yo, you're a punk!' And the other kid won't say nothing, but that kid, probably, has killed fifteen people". Who is he?
K'Naan of the Waving flag fame.
34. The film is expected to be released worldwide by the end of 2010 with 3,500 prints, the highest amount yet in Indian cinema, and is expected to be released in English, Tamil, Hindi and Telugu. This film is the director’s first venture who gained fame in the world of cinema after working as the graphic designer in Anbe Aaruyirae. Rahul dev is poised to be the antagonist and Adlabs and Warner Brothers India is distributing the film. The latest buzz is that the protagonist will ACTUALLY be on screen for 20 minutes in the film.
Sultaan the warrior.
35. The kohanim are the genealogical descendants of the Jewish priests who served in the Jerusalem Temple. These priests are in charge of the various ceremonies. Their method of blessing is done with both arms held horizontally in front, at shoulder level, with hands touching, to form the Hebrew letter "shin." This stands for the Hebrew word for "Shaddai", meaning "Almighty. The same form of blessing is carried out for Shalom aleichem (or sholom aleichem) which is a greeting version in Hebrew, literally meaning "Peace be upon you”. Pop culture reference? (Clue on next slide)
Vulcan Hand Salute
36. X is a themed restaurant of the 1950s…. It is well known because of Y…. The restaurant is advertised by the K-Billy DJ (Steven Wright) in Reservoir Dogs during his “Super Sounds of the 70s Weekend”…. Which famous restaurant??? Clue in next slide
37. What is common to these movies?
Daughters acting in their father’s movies.
38. X is an allegorical mirror of the Soviet Union, particularly between the 1910s and the 1940s, as well as the evolution of the view of the Russian revolutionaries and government of how to practice it. Invented by a highly respected old major, it was quickly adopted by members of the community. Legend has that X is based on the lives of Joseph Stalin and Leon Trotsky.
39. The term X has come to be used to refer to an adolescent girl considered to be very seductive, especially one younger than the age of consent. In the marketing of pornography, it has been used to refer to any attractive woman who has only recently reached, or is still younger than, the age of consent. X?
40. In 1939, the derogatory nickname "Avida Dollars", a phonetic rendering of the French avide à dollars, which may be translated as "eager for dollars" was given to X. This was a derisive reference to the increasing commercialization of X's work, and the perception that X sought self-aggrandizement through fame and fortune. His contemporaries would thus continue to issue extremely harsh polemics against him until the time of his death and beyond.
Salvador Dali. Avida Dollars is an anagram for Salvador Dali
41. Id the performing artists and what is the significance of this particular performance?
Pandit Ravishankar and Ustad Alla Rakha performing at Woodstock ‘69
And the answer is..
42 Tuesday, the 25th of May is celebrated as Geek Pride day in most countries and is fast spreading everywhere. Why was this day chosen though?
To commemorate the release of the Star Wars movie in 1977. This is also the towel day (Which 2D and a few of us intend to celebrate.)