THE REVOLUTIONARY MOVEMENT (PROPAGANDA AND KATIPUNAN)
The Propaganda Movement
1. Restoration of the Philippine representation in the Spanish
2.Equality between Spaniards and Filipinos before the law.
3.Creation of the public school system independent of the
4.Abolition of the polo (forced labor service) and vandala
(forced sale of
local products to the government).
5.Equal opportunity for Filipinos and Spanish to enter
6.Recognitioin of the Philippines as a province of Spain.
7. Secularization of the Philippine parishes.
8.Recognition of human rights of the Filipinos
(speech, press, and assembly).
• La Solidaridad - was an organization created in
Spain on December 13, 1888. it also issued a
newspaper of the same name which was
published in Barcelona, Spain on February
• April 25, 1889 – La Solidaridad published the
• Asociación Hispano-Filipina de Madrid - was an
organization of Spanish and Filipinos during the
Spanish colonial Philippines.
• 1890 - Dr. Jose Rizal learned of the ejection of
his family and others from Calamba.
• Rizal wrote two novels :
1. Noli Me Tangere (Touch Me not)
2. El Filibusterismo (The revolutionist)
• July 3, 1892 – the La Liga Filipina was founded
by Rizal in Tndo,Manila
After Rizal’s death, Andres Bonifacio
founded a secret revolutionary society
(KKK) on July 7, 1892 in Tondo,Manila
for Filipinos to fight for freedom.
Katipunan comes from a tagalog rootword
Kataas – taasan Kagalang – galangang Katipunan ng
mga Anak ng Bayan (Highest and Most Honorable
Society of the children of the Nation)
1. To unite the Filipinos into one solid nation
2. To fight for Philippine independence from Spain.
Kalayaan – the offical newspaper of the
Katipunan,which came up with its first issue
on March 1896.
• Three writers of the Katipunan were:
1. Andres Bonifacio – wrote Decalogue of the
Katipunan (a collection of wise sayings for
Katipuneros and Pag – ibig sa Tinubuang Bayan
( Love for Country).
2. Emilio Jacinto – wrote the Kartilla
(collection of teachings of Katipunan) and A La
3. Dr. Pio Valenzuela – helped Bonifacio and
jacinto to edit the Katipunan newspaper
(Kalayaan) and wrote an essay Catwiran (Is it
• Teodoro Patino, one of the
Katipuneros, revealed the secrets of the
Katipunan to Fr. Mariano Gil which led
to its discovery because of his fear.
• Many Filipinos were arrested but many
Katipuneros also escaped including
Bonifacio on August 23, in Pugad Lawin.