IT USAGE @ RAILWAYS
MBA 1st Sem
Neel Lohit Asati
Usage of IT
Implementation of IT in IR
A Service-Oriented IT Vision For IR
Railway Reservation Ticketing System
• Indian Railways, abbreviated as IR, is the state-owned railway company
of India, which owns and operates most of the country's rail transport.
• It is overseen by the Ministry of Railways (Mr. Mallikarjuna Kharge) of
the Government of India.
• It has more than 64,015 kilometers of track and 6,909 stations , making it
the world's fourth largest railway network after those of the United
States, Russia and China.
• As to rolling stock, IR owns over 200,000 (freight) wagons, 50,000
coaches and 8,000 locomotives.
USING INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
FOR GREATER EFFICIENCY
A large complex Infrastructure System such as the
Indian Railways can benefit greatly from the
intelligent use of IT
Freight revenue enhancement
Passenger revenue enhancement
Improved and optimized service
CRIS (CENTER FOR RAILWAY
INFORMATION SYSTEM)- INTERNAL
SERVICE PROVIDER FOR IT ON IR
Design, development and implementation of computer
based information systems and associated communication
networks and products and other systems
Technical support and services to develop, set up, operate
and maintain any computerised system and the underlying
(COUNTRY WIDE NETWORK OF
COMPUTERIZED ENHANCED RESERVATION
AND TICKETING )
1 64 KBPS
Integrates five Regional
Judicious mix local
uniformity of business
Very complex Business
A SERVICE-ORIENTED IT VISION FOR IR
E-enabled Freight Management System
Customer care centers
Intelligent Stations Infrastructure
Self service kiosks at Stations
Operations & Scheduling
PARCEL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM
Following Functions are covered
Parcel Booking, Cancellation and Loading
Monitoring and tracking of Parcels
Printing of Parcel labels
Networking of all parcel offices
SIGNALLING MAINTENANCE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM(SMMS)
• SMMS application will integrate various signalling for
data inspection, health and inventory monitoring.
• Day-to-day maintenance activity and related
information can be made available on-line.
• On-field data entry of maintenance status of signalling
RAILWAY RESERVATION TICKETING SYSTEM
Without Using IT(Old Style)
Using IT (New Style)
• Usage of IT has surely helped IR in improving their Quality
• Citizens using IR have been benefitted in many ways, eg:
Time, money and energy saved.
• The work pressure of IR employees has reduced to some
• Railways accidents have decreased considerably.