Ti ricordi? Immigrant railroad workers Reading, PA 1920s -a gift of Lucy Talarico
A Tribute to the Italian Immigrants of Berks County Presented by the Italian American Cultural Center of Pennsylvania Dr. Frank A. Franco Library Alvernia College Dedicated to Lucy Talarico Who Devoted Many Years to Collecting Photos and Articles About the Italians in Reading. Compiled From Collections of Photos and Artifacts Presented to the Center by Local Italian Families and With Permission From the Reading Eagle to Reproduce Photos and Articles
Montagnareale, provinca Messina, Sicily late 1920s -gift of Paul Faranda
Family of Antonio and Cecelia (Torchia) Spadafora Seated left to right Cecelia, brother James Torchia, son Pasquale, Antonio, standing left to right daughter Kathryn, sons Anthony C., Samuel, Santo, Joseph. -gift of Patsy F. Spadafora
Taddeo Family Standing rear: Marianna Grimaldi Taddeo and son Lewis Front: son Carl, daughter Rose, AntonioTaddeo Antonio was from San Buono, Abruzzo and Marianna from Palmoli, Chieti, Abruzzo -gift of Patricia Brown Clopper
Mr. and Mrs. Giuseppi Marnelli with sons Al, Nick and Pietro
Joseph Perrotto and Rosaria Palmisano married November 2, 1930 Holy Rosary Church by Fr. Marchetti -submitted by Paul Faranda
Circa 1924 Front: Sebastiano Antonucci, Sebastiano Faranda. Back: Vincenzo Pellegrino, Francesco Lattanzio, Antonio Cottone
De Santis brothers Left to right: Settimo, Nazzareno, Ottavio, Raymond Settimo worked for the Union Pacific RR and later in the mushroom business. Nazzareno lived in California then returned to Temple to work in the mushroom business. Ottavio, youngest of the four, also worked in the mushroom business. Raymond was a gardener for the Jannsons of Textile Co. Wyomissing.
Angelia Scimone (later, Talarico) crowns the Blessed Mother during May Day 1945
Groundbreaking for new Holy Rosary Church August 21, 1950
Construction on the new Holy Rosary Church 3 rd & Franklin Streets. A gift of Mary A. Quartieri
Monsignor Miconi, left, with Dr. F. Coletti, center, and Fr. O. Taffolini on board a ship bound for Italy -gift of Mary A. Quartieri
Holy Rosary School 1950s Salesian Sisters, Daughters of Mary Help of Christians were the teaching order at that time. -gift of Mary A. Quartieri
A modern classroom at Holy Rosary School – 1950s. -gift of Mary A. Quartieri
Senior Choir of Holy Rosary Church Left to right: Rose Papich, Mamie De Marco, Dorothy Spina, and Marion Gabrielli finalizing plans for the family picnic at Maple Grove.
Knights of Columbus Fourth Degree affair Feb. 28, 1960 Seated left Right Rev. Monsignor Theodore Wagner, Mr. & Mrs. James Sparagana. Standing, Mr. & Mrs. Louis Varone.
Procession on Franklin Street @ 1971 Carrying Blessed Mother’s Statue at the Italian Heritage Festival
Fr. Francis J. Carabello -1967 Son of Frank and Frances Carabello Ordained at Messina, Sicily
Dancers from Reading Catholic High School (St. Peter’s) Performing for a charity event Left to right: E. Weitzel, Viola Imbruglia, Rosemarie Caruso, Mildred Kauffman, Eleanor Herbine, Anne Palumbo
St.Mary’s confirmation class- Hamburg, PA. Borelli children: Madeline center, Jenny right, Frank center left and J. Carl center right. -gift of J. Carl Borelli
St. Anthony’s Church 8 th & Columbia Ave. Temple, PA - Built by Italian families in Temple circa 1925. -gift of Rita Gaspari
1929 “Feast Committee” of St. Anthony’s Church, Temple, PA
Left, Italia Pariseau, president of the Berks chapter of the Naitonal Society for Shut-Ins, right, Monsignor Felix A. Losito, founder of the society, present Sunshine Day award to Kathleen M. Gantert, center. - 1991
Chiesa Methodista Episcopale Del Salvatore Italian Methodist Episcopal Church of the Savior, 136-8 Franklin Street Circa 1920 - At that time Reverend Ralph A. Mantone was pastor and served until 1925. In 1925, Reverend Raphelle Fenili, a professor at Albright College became the rector.