1. Reaching a Broad Communitywith Online CollectingSheila A. Brennansbrennan@gmu.edu
2. People are Sharinghttp://www.pewinternet.org/
3. Why not use SM platformto collect?
4. Better Connectivity in SChttp://www.connectsc.org/
5. Good Reasons toCollect Online1. Collections can be large and more diverse in perspective andvoices (in aggregate & individually).2. Opportunity to collect greater variety of evidence beyond anarrated story through web interface: text, images + audio,video, other files.3. Individuals decide what they want to share online.4. Collected materials are discoverable & available to the publicvery quickly (immediately or soon after w/vetting).5. Building community by building a new archive together, basedon by shared experiences.
6. Get Startedhttp://chnm.gmu.edu/digitalhistory
7. Digital Memory Banking sincethe late-1990sOutgrowth of oral projectshttp://blackout.gmu.edu
16. Online collecting byMuseums
18. Assessing a PlatformTo ensure sustainability, consider:• Metadata: Standardized schema (Ex: Dublin Core)• Scalability: large collections and broadly for multiple fileformats (text, images, video, audio)• Data portability: export in multiple data output formats• Interoperability: communicates with archival, librarysystems, w/ability to share content in other spaces• Usability: Intuitive user interface, simple & easy to use• Accessibility: sight-impaired, & Mobile accessible• Open access: freely available for research, while alsogiving contributors rights over their own contributions
19. Challenges• Online submissions can contain less descriptivemetadata.• Submissions vary in quality—and you can’t tamper withthe original—because the variety of contributors buildingyour new collection. You have to be comfortable withthat variety.• Use: will be wide and unpredictable.• Project don’t run on their own:• Requires a dedicated institution w/a person who maintains thesite, vets contributions.• Requires dedicated outreach.
20. Online Collecting asWeb 1.5“for all the potentialities of online collecting anddemocratizing the past, remember that any projectstill requires a great deal of analog hands-on historywork.”Why Collecting Online is Web 1.5: http://chnm.gmu.edu/essays-on-history-new-media/essays/?essayid=47• Even with these challenges, it is still a goodapproach.
21. Many Civil Rights Projects,not collecting from public• Lots!
22. What is Next?• Any new collecting projects must be designedmobile-first