● ThoughtLeadr native ad units are integrated into publisher
design, matching look and feel.
● Broad spectrum defined as “native” in market
○ Suggested content like Outbrain take user off site
○ Sharethrough uses IAB formats & feel like display
○ Others require manual formatting & insertion
● ThoughtLeadr’s dynamic rendering allows one set of creative
assets to appear natively in multiple contexts, experienced in
exactly the same was as the content on the site
● ThoughtLeadr units provide maximum leverage of publisher brand
ThoughtLeadr native ad units are always clearly
labeled as paid advertising.
We believe in complete transparency between
paid content and organic content, with emphasis
on adding editorial value to readers with
contextually relevant brand content.
● Depending on the goals of the campaign, there are various
ways to measure the effectiveness of native ad
● Media buyers can analyze time spent on page, user
engagements, earned media, social activity, brand lift,
● ThoughtLeadr’s Native Engagement Intelligence engine
offers sophisticated reporting and integration with other
Brands prefer CPA-type pricing for native - CPCs for articles and images, CPV
○ Typical range $0.15-0.30
eCPM can be difficult to predict - depends on design of native unit & resulting
interaction dynamics with users
○ Example: Imgur displays thumbnail on front page, content on separate
page for promoted images
■ 2.5% CTR from front page yields $7.50 eCPM off a $0.30 CPC
○ Other publishers embed content directly in stream or autoplay videos on
load, yielding significantly higher eCPM
A pilot period can establish site / audience dynamics and optimal native unit
interaction design for inventory yield
○ dynamic CPM (baseline CPM plus CPA pricing) provides ample toolset for
creating appropriate pricing model for any publisher
Native drives higher yields than display, period.
We can post organic content ourselves.
○ Serving ads out of CMS does not provide feature set and analytics to
○ Serving content off own site or single content site, even large one like
YouTube, doesn’t garner the distribution and scale and attention that will
optimally benefit the brand
We don’t have any content.
○ Creative agencies who specialize in branded content can be rare, but
ThoughtLeadr has partners who can help brands with proven track
Difficult to measure success.
○ Campaign engagement can be designed with call-to-action
○ ThoughtLeadr analytics can measure real results against any KPI
Native is increasingly high profile in brands awareness due to trade press
coverage & spreading awareness of effectiveness vs. display
○ 2.5% vs. 0.002% CTR on Imgur’s front page - 3 orders of magnitude
Agencies are gatekeepers - many are effectively dampening demand from
their clients because of the risk of the unknown
Creative agencies that can make good native content are still few & far
Scale is a critical discussion point
○ scale beyond siloed native inventory (FB, Twitter, etc)
○ scale in raw inventory - engagement vs. impressions
Mobile is where brands’ customers are spending their time, display works even
worse on mobile than on web. Mobile advertising will be native.
Brands for whom native is most attractive:
○ Overall interest from media buyers with awareness/upper funnel budgets,
specifically with the launch or re-launch of new products and services
○ media companies
■ gaming, theatrical, television all perform well
○ premium brands
■ blue chips building brand equity
Most buyers have not yet experienced genuine native advertising
○ Important to position ThoughtLeadr as truly branded content or premium
sponsorship fully aligned with entire user experience
○ Very successful sales strategy to start with small pilot in 25-50k range
■ Our pilots typically develop into six-figure range. Largest campaigns
currently in pipe are 300-500k
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.