2. •Vera is a young girl in the Aleutian islands when its taken over by theJapanese during Pearl Harbor.•When Pearl Harbor is attacked, the U.S government relocates them tonew areas called relocation camps.•In the camps fever breaks out and deaths occur all over.•Then finally, The Aleuts get to go home, but it is what they expect….
3. Book talkThis book made Catherine and I learn many things wenever knew!*The Aleuts dug for calms for food when they were inrelocation camps.*After the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor many Aleutswere relocated only to find their homes destroyed whenthey were finally taken out of the camps.*Today the population of the Aleutian island where Aleutiansparrow took place is only 100 people.
4. AlaskaThe population of the town where Vera wasrelocated to only has 100 people. That’s about 8times smaller than this school! When PearlHarbor was attacked, the Aleutians werent theonly people to relocate, some of the other smallerislands did too.
5. PEARL HARBORPearl Harbor was Attacked December 1941, devastating the wholeU.S, Afterwards the whole country was afraid!After the Aleutians were relocated the Japanese took over the islandand destroyed everything.Not long after the attack, the U.S declared war on the axis powers,This was the first time they had joined the World War.The United States used a strategy called ‘’island hopping’’ to starttaking the Japanese islands, one by one.
6. Did you know?*Even in relocation camps there was discrimination!*The Aleut people didn’t go home right after theirAleutian islands were retaken by the U.S*Many children died on their way to camps
7. THANKS! Thanks for paying Attention during the slide show!!! -Diane and Catherine