1. Welcome! www.productcampdc.org #pcampdcLinkedIn group: ProductCamp DC Participate in Your Success May 5, 2012
2. Thank You to Our Sponsors 2
3. About me: Shardul Mehta• 17 years building and launching digital products and experiences• Early career: software developer – Honeywell, First USA Bank• Did my first start-up in 2000 – Healthcare Application Service Provider (ASP – now called SaaS)• Small, family business – medical office software – Product development, product management, marketing• Now at Capital One: digital product management• MBA, Tepper Business School, Carnegie Mellon• B.S., Computer & Information Sciences email@example.com Twitter: @shardulmehta www.linkedin.com/in/shardulmehta http://streetsmartproductmanager.com
4. The Problem of Conceptual Design in a Big Company• Too many stakeholders• Too many affected parties and vested interests• Too many opinions• Too many approvals• Takes too long!
5. What we really want is• A CX design that: – Solves the business problem – Can be agreed upon by all stakeholders – Can be used to obtain directional IT feedback – Can be quickly tested with customers• Achieved through fast iterative cycles
6. Hothouse• 2 to 3-day focused effort consisting of a series of iterative Creative Sprints and Design Immersion Sessions with key stakeholders• Focus is on the creating the user experience – Push the envelope on design – Don’t be limited by technology, systems, processes, entrenches business practices – Stakeholder alignment on a UX that solves the business problem and provides a great customer experience
7. Sample Agenda Day 1 Day 2•08:30 – 09:00 Kickoff: Welcome/Intro •08:30 – 12:00 Creative Sprint #2•09:00 – 10:00 Business Problem Overview •12:00 – 01:00 Design Immersion Session #2•10:00 – 12:00 •01:00 – 04:00 Creative Sprint #3 •Walk-Through Existing Prototype •04:00 – 05:00 Final Design Immersion •Share VOC Feedback Sessions •Feedback/Direction from Judges •05:00 – 05:15 Closing (next steps)•12:00 – 04:00 Creative Sprint #1•04:00 – 05:00 Design Immersion Session #1• Creative Sprints: team takes the feedback from the judges to produce the next iteration of the prototype• Design Immersion Sessions: team demos the latest iteration for stakeholder feedback• Lunches will be working sessions
8. The Hothouse process fosters intense and focused solution development People Agenda• 1 Business / Product Lead •Business problem overview Hothouse• 1 CX Lead •Existing prototype & VOC review• 2-4 UI Designers •Iterations x2• 1-2 IT/Engineering Leads •Prototype demonstrations •Feedback / Judging Daily demonstration INPUTS CREATIVE OUTPUTSConfidence Level 50%+ SPRINTS Confidence Level 80% Prototype Creation Agreed upon solution with •Biz Problem Prototype stakeholders •Prototype demonstration Working demonstrable prototype •VOC Feedback Knowledge Prioritized user stories share Identification of impacted Trade-offs systems and organizations agreed All stakeholders fully represented Constant stakeholder involvement BENEFITS Rapid incorporation and iteration through feedback High level of innovation & collaboration Improving faster time to market
9. Participants represent a cross-section of the roles, levels, organizations and disciplines involved in the delivery process Role Type What WhoFacilitator Manage overall event Facilitates the Hothouse process Assess solutions, Relevant stakeholders, typically executive and seniorJudges provide feedback management level folksBusiness Articulate business Business / Product LeadIntent problemCustomer Demo existing prototype Product Manager / CX LeadExperience & VOC 1 Business / Product Lead Develop the bestTeam customer experience 1 CX LeadMembers solution to solve the 2-4 UI Designers business problem. 1-2 IT/Engineering Leads (e.g., Architect, Tech Lead)• Lifeline resources: designated individuals from dependent departments available as “phone-a- friend” resources (e.g., Legal, Compliance, Fraud, Brand, etc.)
10. Principles of a Successful Hothouse• Close collaboration• Rapid prototyping• Focus on the user experience• Working team same as those responsible for delivery• Executive commitment• Same judges at every Design Immersion Session – Delegates are empowered to make decisions on their behalf• Plenty of energy suppliers!
11. Benefits of Hothouse• Direct stakeholder involvement – immediate feedback• Stakeholder consensus on: – Understanding of business problem – Proposed solution• Alignment by all parties on potential high-level IT impacts and delivery trade-offs• Clarity for delivery team
12. Hothouse Combines rapid prototyping with executive level decision making to quickly reach consensus on key customer experiences