Use the Turning Point clickers provided to answer each question.
When the ball appears you will only have 10 seconds left to record your answer.
You may change your answer at anytime before the ball hits 0.
1. WHAT KIND OF CHANGE OCCURS WHEN GASEOUS NITROGEN BECOMES VERY COLD AND CHANGES TO A LIQUID?
both chemical and physical
neither chemical nor physical
2. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING IS NOT A PHYSICAL CHANGE THAT HAPPENS WHEN WATER CHANGES STATE?
3. AS ICE MELTS INTO LIQUID WATER, ITS TEMPERATURE
Stays the same
Varies with the environment
4. YOU PUT SOME WATER IN TRAYS IN THE FREEZER. SOON, YOU HAVE ICE CUBES. WHAT HAPPENS TO THE TINY PARTICLES OF WATER AS THE WATER CHANGES IN ICE?
They all move in different directions.
They move more slowly.
They move faster.
They move only in one direction.
5. WHAT WILL HAPPEN TO A GLASS OF ICE WATER LEFT ON A COUNTER ON A HOT SUMMER DAY?
The temperature of the water will fall, causing it to freeze.
More ice will form as the temperature of the water falls.
The ice will melt as the temperature of the water rises.
The ice will prevent the temperature of the water from changing.
6. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING IS NOT A CHEMICAL CHANGE?
Cookie dough bakes.
Bread is cut.
THE DROPS OF WATER THAT FORM ON THE OUTSIDE OF A COLD GLASS ON A HOT DAY ARE AN EXAMPLE OF
A chemical change.
A physical change.
Both a chemical and a physical change.
Neither a chemical nor a physical change.
8. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING IS A PHYSICAL CHANGE?
A student cutting paper in to four equal parts.
An electric heater gets so hot that it burns out.
A generator burns gasoline and produces electricity.
A lawnmower stops when its blade is clogged with grass.
9. WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING IS A CLUE THAT A CHEMICAL CHANGE HAS OCCURRED?
A beaker becomes cold when you mix two liquids in it.
A liquid forms bubbles when it reaches a high temperature.
Water changes color when you add food coloring to it.
A car door feels hot if you touch it on a summer afternoon.
10. JOSEPHINE HEATED ICE UNTIL IT BECAME A LIQUID. WHICH TERM IDENTIFIES THIS CHANGE?
11. WHAT CAN YOU DO TO WOOD TO CAUSE A CHEMICAL CHANGE?
12. WHICH MIGHT OCCUR IF YOU HEAT A SUBSTANCE?
none of these
USE THE DATA TABLE BELOW TO ANSWER THIS QUESTION. TEST RESULTS 1 DISSOLVED 2 INCREASED TEMPERATURE 3 FORMED A CLEAR LIQUID 4 HAD A BAD SMELL 13. THE TABLE LISTS A SCIENTIST’S OBSERVATIONS WHEN SHE STIRS DIFFERENT SUBSTANCES TOGETHER. WHICH TEST SHOW THAT A CHEMICAL CHANGE TOOK PLACE?