Mapping Moscow: 3rd St. to 4th St.
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×
 

Mapping Moscow: 3rd St. to 4th St.

on

  • 831 views

JAMM 225 Reporting Final

JAMM 225 Reporting Final
Our mapping covers 3rd St. to 4th St. off on Main St. in downtown Moscow. We look at the growth of Dernham & Kaufmann Block, Hotel Moscow and McCarter Block.

Statistics

Views

Total Views
831
Views on SlideShare
823
Embed Views
8

Actions

Likes
0
Downloads
1
Comments
0

2 Embeds 8

http://moscowmainstreet.blogspot.com 6
http://www.slideshare.net 2

Accessibility

Categories

Upload Details

Uploaded via as Microsoft PowerPoint

Usage Rights

© All Rights Reserved

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Processing…
Post Comment
Edit your comment

    Mapping Moscow: 3rd St. to 4th St. Mapping Moscow: 3rd St. to 4th St. Presentation Transcript

    • Mapping Main Street 3 rd Street to 4 th Street Stephanie Hale-Lopez Samantha Ricketts
    • Main Street Hotel Moscow McCarter Block Dernham & Kaufmann
    • 313 South Main Street Hotel Moscow, 1891 The building was constructed by R.H. Barton, who came to Moscow in 1877 and set up the area’s first sawmill. In 1890 a large fire destroyed the building. Two years later it reopened as the Hotel Moscow. The building is still standing as originally reconstructed and is still home to Hotel Moscow, Moscow Hotel Apartments and The Garden Lounge.
    • 310 to 318 South Main Street McCarter Block, 1891 The building was once occupied by Farmers Bank, of which L.B. McCarter was a director. Since it’s construction in 1891, this building has housed the Post office, Grice & Sons Furniture & Undertakers, The Farmers Bank, and was the City Hall until 1969.
    • 302 South Main Street Dernham & Kaufmann Building, 1889 William Kaufmann and Henry Dernham were two leading business men in Moscow. They built the large structure once occupied by Davids’ Inc. After leaving Moscow in 1897 started the Emporium at San Francisco, which developed into the largest independent store on the West Coast during the early 1900’s. After Davids’ Department Store closed, the building housed a variety of shops and offices. Today the building is home to Champions Sports Bar & Grill.
    • A Quick Look at Main Street… The first permanent settlers arrived in Moscow in 1870’s. The post office name changed to Moscow in 1876. Idaho became a state in 1890.
    • 1900’s
      • Main Street and 4 th Street.
      • Moscow was founded in 1871 and was originally named Hog Heaven. The name was chosen because the area had a plentiful supply of camas roots, which were used as hog feed.
    • 1930’s
      • 4 th Street to 3 rd Street.
      • Moscow Main street was first paved in 1908. Moscow had grown to about 4,000 residents by 1930.
    • 1940’s
      • 3 rd Street.
      • By 1942 sugar and coffee were added to the list of rationed goods due to the War. In 1942 the University of Idaho adopted a 12-month school year so male students could earn their bachelor’s degree before the draft age of 21.
    • 1950
      • Between 3 rd Street and 4 th Street on Main Street.
      • A community Christmas tree was raised by University of Idaho students. Now referred to as the holiday tree and can be found in the Idaho Commons in the winter months.
    • 1950
      • 4 th Street and Main Street.
      • In the 1950’s Friendship Square was opened. At the University of Idaho, the Music Building and the Agricultural Science Building were completed.
    • 1960’s
      • 4 th Street and Main Street.
    • 1960’s
      • Looking south on Main Street from 3 rd Street.
      • In 1967 Moscow had its first anti-war protest.
    • 1960’s
      • East side of Main Street between 3 rd Street and 4 th Street.
      • In 1969 University of Idaho students rallied to demand a moratorium on the Vietnam War.
    • 1960’s
      • 3 rd Street.
      • Phone booths were not uncommon as Moscow had phone service as early as 1885.
    • 1970’s
      • Looking down 3 rd Street at the old post office.
      • The old post office is Moscow's first federal building. It was completed in 1911.
    • Present Day
      • Main Street.
      • Hodgins celebrated its 100 year anniversary in April 2010 and is the oldest ongoing business in Moscow.
    • A Quick Look at Friendship Square… Located on 4 th Street and Main Street it is a downtown park with picnic area, playground, and water structure.
    • 1960’s
      • Friendship Square play area.
      • The play set was removed in the early 1990’s and replaced with a more modern structure for children.
    • 1977
      • Friendship Square.
      • In 1977 the Farmers Market was established and held in Friendship Square every Saturday from April to October.
    • Present Day…
      • Main Street. Friendship Square play area.
      • Although Farmers Market isn’t held in Friendship Square anymore, it is still a place to gather as a community for live music and entertainment.
    • Present Day…
      • Main Street. Friendship Square.
      • This water structure is somewhat new to Friendship Square. To be eco-friendly it uses recycled water to operate.
    • A Quick Look at the Moscow Hotel… The building was originally constructed in 1880. The Moscow Hotel was for many years an important business and social center of the town.
    • 1895
      • Moscow Hotel interior.
      • The building was originally Moscow’s first hotel, the Barton House, from 1880 to 1890. When it was destroyed by fire, it was rebuilt as the present brick structure. It opened in 1892.
    • 1895
      • Moscow Hotel stagecoach.
      • A stagecoach ran between the Hotel Moscow and the railroad depot, both were located on Main Street.
    • 1900’s
      • After fire destroyed the Barton House in 1890, Barton began construction of what would become the Hotel Moscow. It’s four-chair barber shop included a shoe shine stand.
    • 1890’s
      • Main Street.
      • Moscow Hotel opened in 1892 & Hodgins Drug Store opened in 1890.
    • 1980
      • Main Street.
      • The Moscow Hotel is currently in the National Register of Historic Places.
    • Present Day…
      • Main Street.
      • The Moscow Hotel is now the Garden Lounge and Moscow Hotel Apartments.
    • A Quick Look at Davids’ Department Store… Opened in 1896 as David & Ely’s. In 1919 the store was renamed Davids’.
    • 1910
      • Main Street. David & Ely’s Department Store.
      • Henry Dernham and William Kaufmann built this for the department store they had founded in 1881. After they left Moscow in the late 1890’s, the building was purchased by Frank David and Wellington Ely.
    • 1912
      • This advertisement for groceries from the department store of David & Ely ran in Moscow’s telephone directory.
    • 1918
      • Davids’ Department Store grocery section.
      • Residents were able to phone in their grocery orders. The store had two delivery wagons going all the time. Leaving at 9 a.m. and 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. and 5 p.m.
    • 1919
      • Davids’ Department Store interior.
      • The store was ran by Frank David and his three sons.
    • 1920’s
      • Main Street. Davids’ Department Store.
      • David and Ely originally operated a Badger Store on Main Street before owning a department store.
    • 1920’s
      • Davids’ Department Store sales brochure.
    • 1921
      • Davids’ Department Store interior.
      • Moscow’s “social elite” would shop in Davids’ Department Store for recreational goods, such as the golf clubs pictured above.
    • 1930
      • Main Street. Davids’ Department Store.
    • 1940
      • Davids’ Department Store interior.
      • There were four other competing dry goods stores in Moscow.
    • 1940-1950
      • Main Street. Davids’ Department Store.
    • 1979
      • Main Street. Davids’ Department Store.
      • Modernization had already greatly altered the exterior of the building, which now houses Champions Sports Bar & Grill.
    • Present Day…
      • Main Street.
      • Champions Sports Bar and Grill’s new exterior layout was built over the original design due to the building being in the National Register of Historic Places.