2. Nelson MandelaNelson Mandela was born on July 18, 1918 in South Africa.Nelsons real name was Rolilhahla which means “Trouble Maker” in the Xhosa language.A British teacher gave everyone in his class a English name including him.When Nelson was nine sadly his dad died.
3. EducationWhen Nelson was seven he was the first one in his family to go to school.No one thought that education was good, but his dad disagreed, so he studied hard eachand every day on his education.When Nelson was 16 he went to Clarkebury Boarding Institute, a high school.At 21 he went to the University College at Fort Hare. Nelson loved spending time alone.At school he made friends with a boy from another tribe.He was a good runner and boxer.
4. CareerAdult LifeNelson was in the ANC, African National Congress, a group to fight against the Apartheid.The Apartheid was laws that divided black and white people into separate groups.The ANC believed that blacks and whites should have the same rights.Many of people went to prison and some got killed. Nelson was one of those peoplewho got sent to prison.He was put in Robbins Islands, the toughest prison in the country.He was in prison for twenty seven years.Finally Nelson was free!
5. AccomplishmentsIn 1952 Nelson opened South Africas first law firm.He was one of the leaders of the ANC, which fought to end the apartheid.In 1994 Nelson became the first black President of South Africa.
6. Impact on the worldNelson fought hard and suffered greatly to allow equal rights to all in South Africa.He is an example to others letting them know that you should never give up.Nelson is 94 years old and lives in retirement in Qunu in South Africa.