The Effects of Work Environment on the Personality-
Performance Relationship: An Exploratory Study –
James W. Westerman and Bret L. Simmons
• This article talks suggests that the personality – employee outcome
relationship is mediated by work environment preferences.
• Subjects consisted of employees of 8 different organizations(representing
financial analysts, direct-sales representatives, telemarketers, information
system specialists and stock clerks)
• Employee’s work environment preference for goal orientation plays a
predominant role in performance and commitment outcomes.
DECISION MAKING IN RELATION TO PERSONALITY TYPES AND COGNITIVE STYLES OF
• The article is about the decision making style in relation to personality
types and cognitive styles of future managers.
• 130 B school students participated in the study.
• Tests used in the study : Decision making style inventory by Rowe and
Mason, Myers Briggs type indicator by Myers Briggs and cognitive style by
• Results of the study :
DIRECTIVE ANALYTICAL CONCEPTUAL BEHAVIORAL
INTUITIVE (-) THINKING
Examining the Relationship between
Personality Traits and Creativity Styles
-Gerard Puccio and Chris Grivas
• This article aimed at exploring the relationship between the creativity styles
and the personality traits of individuals.
• A study was attempted to examine the relationship between individual’s
expressed preferences for stages within the creative process and their
• 137 participants took part in this study which included supervisors, managers,
department heads and senior administrative officers of a small hospital.
• According to the results of the study, problem clarification is associated with
tendencies to be cautious, careful, analytical, accurate and tactful and
willingness to challenge prevailing thought, need for change and attraction to
variety were the traits shown by individuals who had strong preference for
idea generation stage
• Thus, a relationship between the creative process and personality traits were
described in this article.
• Development of goal-oriented work environments may be a more
effective means of improved performance and commitment.
• Personality types and cognitive styles are related to decision styles,
which in turn influence the manager’s decision making. So the
management institute should add appropriate contents to its
curriculum to improve these factors.
• The present findings might suggest that to move from problem
clarification to idea generation requires a personality make-up that
includes traits such as careful, cautious, reflective and factual, while
also being demanding, ambitious and desirous to change.
• Effects of personality on workplace outcomes
are fully or partially mediated by intervening
• Various personality types & cognitive styles
have positive and negative correlation with
the four decision making styles.
• Different personality traits are shown by
individuals in the different stages of the
Relating to theory
• Three pairs from the MBTI theory has been
used in the study.
• Categorizing of personalities in the workplace
is based on Big Five Personality Model
• Individual Differences make a person prefer
one stage of creativity process to another.