1. An Overview of Disaster Management B.K. Sharma Director-Academics Asians Institute of Technology, Tonk
2. What is DisasterDisaster is a natural and man-made event which results in widespread human loss, loss in livelihood , property and life.
3. Components of DisasterManagement1. Preparedness2. Response3. Recovery4. Prevention
4. Disaster PreparednessIt involves measure to ensure that the communities and services are capable of coping with the effect of disaster.
5. Example for DisasterPreparedness1. Community awareness and education.2. Proper warning system.3. Mutual aid arrangement.4. Mock drill, training
6. Disaster ResponseIt involves measure taken in anticipation of, during and immediately after the disaster to ensure that the effects are minimized.
7. Example of Disaster Response1. Implementing the disaster management plans.2. Setting up medical camps and mobilizing the resources.3. Providing adequate shelter and sanitary facilities.4. Developing of search and rescue
8. Disaster RecoveryIt involves measures , which supports emergency effected areas in reconstruction of physical infrastructure and restoration of economic and emotional well being.
9. Example of DisasterRecovery1. Counseling programmes for those who lost the near ones.2. Restoring services like roads, communication links, etc.3. Providing financial support employment.4. Reconstructing damage
10. Prevention andMitigationIt involve the measures to eliminate or reduce the incidence of severity of disasters.
11. Examples of Preventionand Mitigation1. Preventing habitation in risk zone.2. Disaster resistant buildings etc.
12. Principles of DisasterManagement1. Minimize Casualties.2. Prevent further casualties.3. Rescue the victims.4. First aid.5. Evacuate.6. Medical care.7. Reconstruction.