1. In the name of Allah most Gracious Most Merciful
2. Significance of reading Qur’an with understanding“This is a blessed Book We have revealed to you, so that theydeliberate in its verses, and so that the men ofunderstanding may heed to advice”. (Sad :29).Quran is a book of guidance and in this age, when misguidance and strayingconcerning beliefs have become common, returning to the original source ofguidance and to derive benefit from it is absolutely essential.“And it is healing for the diseases which are in the hearts.”(Yunus:57).Quran is a remedy for the diseases of the heart. Therefore Quran is the best meansto purify the heart from evil thoughts, doubts, arrogance, hypocrisy, inclinationtowards sins, jealousy, rancor and other evils and it creates good qualities andpromotes them.Those who are accustomed to read Quran without understanding should alsoponder over this Hadith:“Whoever completed the reading of Quran in less than three days did notunderstand anything” (Tirmizi-Abwabul Qirat)
3. Surah Baqarah- Ayah #1 – #123 covered until now…Theme: Hidayat & Tauheed1 – 20: Quran is the Book of Guidance, Mankind into 3 groups-- Believers, Disbelievers andHypocrites.21 - 29 : Allah invites mankind to accept the Guidance voluntarily and to submit to Him.30 - 39 : The story of the appointment of Adam as Allahs representative (Khalifah) on Earth, ofhis life in the Garden, of his falling a prey to the temptations of Satan, of his repentance and itsacceptance, has been related to show to mankind (Adams offspring), that the only right thingfor them is to accept and follow the Guidance.40 - 120 : In this portion invitation to the Guidance has particularly been extended to thechildren of Israel and their past and present attitude has been criticized to show that the causeof their degradation was their deviation from the Guidance*****************************************************************************121 – 141 :The Jews have been exhorted to follow Prophet Muhammad (SAW) who had comewith the same Guidance and who was a descendant and follower of Prophet Abraham whomthey highly honored as their ancestor, and professed to follow as a prophet. The story of thebuilding of the Ka`abah by him has been mentioned because it was going to be made theqiblah of the Muslim Community.
4. 2.124(“And (remember) when the Lord of Ibrahim (Abraham) tried him with (certain)commands, which he fulfilled. He (Allah) said (to him), "Verily, I am going to makeyou an Imam (a leader) for mankind (to follow you). (Ibrahim) said, "And of myoffspring (to make leaders). (Allah) said, "My covenant (prophethood) includes notZalimin (polytheists and wrongdoers).)
5. 1.Allah tested Ibrahim (AS)2.Ibrahim (AS) submitted to Allah’s will.3.Allah is honoring Ibrahim (AS) by making him the Imam for the people, a role model for all of us.4.Ibrahim asked Allah that Imams be chosen from his offspring.5.Allah accepted his du’a, but said that the “ ” will not benefit from His promise.
6. 1.Abandoning his (disbelieving) people when Allah commanded himto do so.2.Disputing with Nimrod (king of Babylon) about Allah.3.Being patient when he was thrown in the fire (although this wasextremely traumatic)4.Migrating from his homeland when Allah commanded him to do so.5.Patience with the monetary and material demands of hostingguests by Allahs command.6.Allahs order for him to slaughter his son.
7. Ibrahim’s (AS) journey from Ur Sham: Ishaq (AS) Birthplace in Iraq Luth (AS) Ismail (AS)
8. `Abdur-Razzaq also narrated that Ibn `Abbas said that,“And (remember) when the Lord of Ibrahim (Abraham) (i.e., Allah) tried himwith (certain) commands) means, "Allah tested him with Taharah(purity, ablution): five on the head and five on the body.As for the head, they are cutting the mustache, rinsing the mouth, inhalingand discarding water, using Siwak and parting the hair.As for the body, they are trimming the nails, shaving the pubichair, circumcision and plucking under the arm and washing with water afteranswering the call of nature.Ibn Abi Hatim said, "A similar statement was also reported from Sa`id bin Al-Musayyib, Mujahid, Ash-Sha`bi, An-Nakha`i, Abu Salih, Abu Al-Jald, and soforth.
9. There is a similar statement that Imam Muslim narrated from`Aishah who said that Allahs Messenger said,“Ten are among the Fitrah (instinct, natural constitution): trimming themustache, growing the beard, using Siwak, inhaling and then exhaling water (inablution), cutting the nails, washing between the fingers (in ablution), pluckingthe underarm hair, shaving the pubic hair, washing with water after answering thecall of nature, (and I forgot the tenth, I think it was) rinsing the mouth (inablution”.
10. 1. Believers Must Always Be Prepared to Face Trials Do men think that they will be left alone on saying “We believe” and that they will not be tested? (29:2) Surah AnkabootS2. Trials are a Sign of Love By Allah Narrated Abu Huraira: Allahs Apostle said, "If Allah wants to do good to somebody, He afflicts him with trials." ( Bukhari)3. Allah Never Gives a Trial That is Too Great to Bear On no soul doth Allah place a burden greater than it can bear. (2:286)4. The Stronger the Faith, the Harder the Test, and the Greater the Reward Persons most prone to trials are prophets, then the pious, then less pious (Bukhari)5. All things are temporary in this world, whether it is happiness or sadness. Verily with every difficulty, there is relief. (94:6) Surah Ash Sharh
11. 6. Always Have Focus on the Hereafter. The magnitude of the reward goes along with the magnitude of the trial (Tirmidhi)7. Allah is always FAIR. Allah (swt) says in a hadith Qudsi: O My servants, I have forbidden injustice for Myself and have made it forbidden amongst you, so do not commit acts of injustice against one another.8. Always thank Allah when you pass in a Test. Whenever you fail, do Istaghfar and follow itup with a good deed. Patience is only at the first (stroke) of grief. (Bukhari and Muslim)9. Knowledge precedes actions. Give sadaqa without delay, for it stands in the way of calamity. (Tirmidhi)
12. Narrated Abu Huraira: Allahs Apostle said,"If Allah wants to do good to somebody, He afflictshim with trials." (Sahih Bukhari) Persons most prone to trials are prophets, then the pious, then less pious (Sahih Bukhari) No Muslim is afflicted with harm because of sickness or some other inconvenience, but that Allah will remove his sins for him as a tree sheds its leaves. (Bukhari) The magnitude of the reward goes along with the magnitude of the trial (Tirmizi)
13. Story of a woman suffering from fits..‘Ata ibn Rabah related that he heard Ibn ‘Abbas say: “Shall I show you a woman of Paradise? "Isaid: “Yes, indeed.” He said: “A black woman came to the Prophet (SAW), and said: ‘I sufferfrom epileptic fits, and because of these, (at times) my body becomes uncovered. Would youinvoke Allah, the Exalted One, to cure me of this disease? ‘‘The Prophet (SAW), said: ‘If you wish, you can be patient and you will attain Paradise (for thissuffering). But if you prefer, I will pray to Allah, the Exalted, to cure you of it?’ The womansaid: ‘I will be patient,’ then added: ‘I become uncovered (when I have fits), so invoke Allah forme that I do not become uncovered. ‘ So the Prophet (SAW), prayed for her.”[Source: Fiqh-us-Sunnah, volume 4, #1a]Thanking Allah when calamity strikes..Omar (RA) used to say:“If Allah strikes me with calamity I will thank Allah for four things:1) that the test was not in my deen,2) the calamity could have been worse,3) it is an expiation for my sins,4) any loss after losing the Prophet sallalahu alayhi wasalam is nothing”
14. Note: Also a Tirmidhi Hadith
15. Ibn ‘Abbas (RA) said:When (Prophet) Ibrahim was thrown into the fire, he said:“Allah (Alone) is sufficient for us, and, He is the Best Disposer ofaffairs.”So did Messenger of Allah, Muhammad (SAW), when he wastold:“A great army of the pagans had gathered against him, so fearthem”. But this (warning) only increased him and the Muslimsin Faith and they said:“Allah (Alone) is sufficient for us, and He is the Best Disposer ofaffairs (for us)”.[Al-Bukhari].
16. QUIZ:1. In Ayah# 124, Allah (SWT) is pleased with Ibrahim (AS) because…a.) He built the Ka’bab.) He sacrificed a lambc.) He passed all the tests that Allah put him thro’2. In Ayah# 124, Allah (SWT) rewarded Ibrahim (AS) with…a.) fertile landb.) Imamat (made him the Imam)c.) a son3. Name the Birthplace of Ibrahim (AS)a.) Urb.) Shamc.) HaranBONUS: What present day country does it fall into?
17. 4. Name the river, Ibrahim(AS) travelled along, when Allah (SWT)commanded him to migratea.) Nileb.) Tigressc.) Euphrates5. Who were Ibrahim’s (AS) first two followers or companions?a.) Ismail (AS) & Ishaq (AS)b.) Sarah (AS) & Hajrah (AS)c.) Sarah (AS) & Luth (AS)6. Name the region Ishaq (AS) was assigned for Dawaha.) Yemenb.) Shamc.) PalestineBONUS: What is this place called in present day?7. Name the 5 great prophets (Ulul Azm) in Islam.
18. 8. In Surah Al Baqarah, Ayah# 155, Allah says…“Surely We will test you with a bit of fear and hunger, and loss inwealth and lives and fruits, and give good tidings to the _ _ _ _ _ _”BONUS: What is the arabic word for it?9. In Surah Al Baqarah, Ayah# 157, what are the 3 things believers willreceive from Allah (SWT), if they say “Inna Lillahe Wa Inna IlayheRajeoon” whenever a calamity or bad news reaches them?10. Omar (RA) used to say:“If Allah strikes me with calamity I will thank Allah for 4 things…”Name them…BIG BONUS: Name the 10 things from Fitrah, as narrated by Aisha(RA) in Muslim Hadith.
19. 2.125. Remember We made the House a place of assembly for men and a place of safety;and take ye the station of Abraham as a place of prayer; and We covenanted with Abrahamand Isma`il that they should sanctify My House for those who compass it round or use it asa retreat or bow, or prostrate themselves therein in prayer ).
20. • This Ayah indicates that Allah honored the Sacred House, which Allah made as a safe refuge and safe haven. Therefore, the souls are eager, but never bored, to conduct short visits to the House, even every year.• Mujahid, `Ata, As-Suddi, Qatadah and Ar-Rabi` bin Anas were reported to have said that the Ayah (2:125) means, "Whoever enters it shall be safe.
21. There are several Hadiths that indicate that Allah made Makkah a sacred areabefore He created the heavens and earth. The Two Sahihs recorded `Abdullah bin`Abbas saying that the Messenger of Allah said,“Allah has made this city a sanctuary (sacred place) the Day Hecreated the heavens and earth. Therefore, it is a sanctuary until theDay of Resurrection because Allah made it a sanctuary. It was notlegal for anyone to fight in it before me, and it was legal for me for afew hours of one day. Therefore, it is a sanctuary until the Day ofResurrection, because Allah made it a sanctuary. None is allowed touproot its thorny shrubs, or to chase its game, or to pick upsomething that has fallen, except by a person who announces itpublicly, nor should any of its trees be cut.) Al-`Abbas said, `OMessenger of Allah! Except the lemon-grass, for our goldsmiths andfor our graves. The Prophet added, Except lemon-grass.”This is the wording of Muslim. The Two Sahihs also recorded Abu Hurayrahnarrating a similar Hadith, while Al-Bukhari recorded a similar Hadith from Safiyyahbint Shaybah who narrated it from the Prophet .
22. This Ayah also emphasized thehonor of Ibrahims Maqam, andthe instruction to pray next to it, Maqam-e-Ibrahim Footprint of Ibrahim (AS)
23. (Verily, the first House (of worship) appointed for mankind wasthat at Bakkah (Makkah), full of blessing, and a guidance for Al-`Alamin (mankind and Jinn). In it are manifest signs (forexample), the Maqam (place) of Ibrahim; whosoever entersit, he attains security) (3:96-97). (Al-e-Imran)
24. It is recommended to pray Surah Al-Kafirun , in first rakaatand Surah Al-Ikhlas in second rakaat of the prayer.This is taken from following narration:It was reported from Jabir bin Abdullah that when AllahsMessenger (SAW) came to Maqam-e-Ibrahim, he recited:"And take you the Maqam of Ibrahim as a place ofprayer." Then he prayed two rakaat, reciting the Openingof the Book (Al-Fateha) and –"Qul Ya ayyuhal Kafirun…..(Al-Kafirun)" and –"Qul Huwallahu Ahad….. (Al-Ikhlas)".Then he went back to the Corner and touched it, then hewent out to As-Safa.“(Hadith No. 2966, Book of The Mawaqit, Sunan An-Nasai, Vol. 3).
25. Ibn Abi Hatim reported that Jabir,describing the Hajj (pilgrimage) of theProphet said, "When the Prophet(SAW) performed Tawaf, `Umar (RA)asked him, `Is this the Maqam of ourfather He said, `Yes. `Umar (RA) said,`Should we take it a place of prayer SoAllah revealed,Ibn Kathir
26. Anas bin Malik said that `Umar bin Al-Khattab said, "I agreed with my Lord, or myLord agreed with me, regarding three matters.1. I said, `O Messenger of Allah! I wish you take the Maqam of Ibrahim a place forprayer.‘ The Ayah,“And take you the Maqam (place) of Ibrahim as a place of prayer.” was revealed.2. I also said, ‘O Messenger of Allah! The righteous and the wicked enter yourhouse. I wish you would command the Mothers of the believers (the Prophetswives) to wear Hijab’.Allah sent down the Ayah that required the Hijab.3. And when I knew that the Prophet was angry with some of his wives, I came tothem and said, `Either you stop what you are doing, or Allah will endow His Messenger withbetter women than you are. I advised one of his wives and she said to me, `O`Umar! Does the Messenger of Allah not know how to advise his wives, so that youhave to do the job instead of him Allah then revealed,“It may be if he divorced you (all) that his Lord will give him instead of you, wivesbetter than you, Muslims (who submit to Allah)). (At Tahreem#66:5) (Bukhari)
27. `Umar (RA) is one of the two men, whom theMessenger of Allah described when he said, «“Imitate the two men who will come after me: AbuBakr and `Umar”Ibn Kathir
28. Al-Hasan Al-Basri said that,And We gave Our Ahd (command) to Ibrahim and Isma`il) means,"Allah ordered them to purify it from all filth and impurities, of whichnone should ever touch itAlso, Sa`id bin Jubayr said that Ibn `Abbas commented on the Ayah,that they should purify My House (the Ka`bah) for those who arecircumambulating it, or staying (I`tikaf))"Purify it from the idols, sexual activity, false witness and sins of allkinds.
29. Kitab AllahKhalil Rasul AllahAllah ALLAH (SWT) Bayt Dhikr Allah Allah
30. It is related from Jaabir (RA) that hesaid:" I once saw Rasulullah (SAW) on thenight of a full moon.On that night he wore redclothing.At times I looked at the full moon and attimes at Rasulullah (SAW) Ultimately I came to the conclusion thatRasulullah (SAW) was morehandsome, beautiful and more radiantthan the full moon.”
31. And when Abraham prayed: My Lord! Make this a region of security and bestowupon its people fruits, such of them as believe in Allah and the Last Day, Heanswered: As for him who disbelieveth, I shall leave him in contentment for awhile, then I shall compel him to the doom of Fire - a hapless journeys end!(126)
32. This occurred before the Ka`bah was built.Allah said in Surat Ibrahim,(And (remember) when Ibrahim said,"My Lord! Make this city (Makkah) one of peace and security...)(14:35)as here, Ibrahim supplicated a second time after the House wasbuilt and its people lived around it, after Ishaq who was thirteenyears Isma`ils junior was born. This is why at the end of hissupplication, Ibrahim said here,(All the praises and thanks be to Allah, Who has given me in oldage Isma`il and Ishaq .Verily, my Lord is indeed the Hearer of invocations) (14:39).
33. “And (remember) when the Lord of Ibrahim (Abraham) tried himwith (certain) commands, which he fulfilled. He (Allah) said (tohim), "Verily, I am going to make you an Imam (a leader) formankind (to follow you). (Ibrahim) said, "And of my offspring (tomake leaders). (Allah) said, "My covenant (prophethood)includes NOT Zalimin (polytheists and wrongdoers).‘Baqarah 2:124
34. 1. Allah goes thro’ millions of human conversations and picks the best, most valuable ones and quotes them!2. Ibrahim’s (AS) du’a is the turning point in history of Islam! 3. The two essential components to establish any city are Peace and then, Prosperity. Taught in Political Sc. Class, NOW! 4. Allah accepts this du’a for everybody. 5. This shows us the value of Duniya in the eyes of Allah. 6. Duniya is for BOTH!7. Are our worldly blessings and enjoyment, in return for our Iman or our Disobedience???
35. O ye who believe! Obey Allah, and obey the messenger and (obey)those of you who are in authority; (Surah An-Nisa 4:59)
36. Sayyiduna Abd Allah ibn Umar (RA) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (SAW) said: “It is necessary upon a Muslim to listen to and obey the ruler, as long as one is not ordered to carry out a sin. If he is commanded to commit a sin, then there is no adherence and obedience.” (Sahih al-Bukhari, no. 2796 & Sunan Tirmidhi) The above Hadith is general, in that it does not distinguish between Muslim and non-Muslim lands.The Prophet(SAW) said, "A Muslim has to listen to and obey (the order of his ruler)whether he likes it or not, as long as his orders involve not one in disobedience(to Allah), but if an act of disobedience (to Allah) is imposed one should notlisten to it or obey it.”Bukhari: Volume 9, Book 89, Number 258: Narrated Abdullah:
37. Surah Al-E-Imran (196-197)Let not the free disposal (and affluence) of the disbelieversthroughout the land deceive you. (196)A brief enjoyment; then, their ultimate abode is Hell; and worstindeed is that place for rest. (197)
38. Surah Luqman: 31:23-24 -23. And whoever disbelieves, let not his disbelief grieve you. To Us is their return, andWe shall inform them what they have done. Verily, Allah is the Knower of what is inthe breasts (of men).24. We let them enjoy for a little while, then in the end We shall oblige them to (enter)a great torment.
39. Surah Yunus: (69-70) -69. “Verily, those who invent a lie against Allah will never be successful.70. (A brief) enjoyment in this world! And then unto Us will be theirreturn, then We shall make them taste the severest torment because theyused to disbelieve”.
40. - -And were it not that mankind would have become of one community (all disbelieversdesiring worldly life only), We would have provided for those who disbelieve in the MostGracious (Allah), silver roofs for their houses, and elevators whereby they ascend. And fortheir houses, doors (of silver), and thrones (of silver) on which they could recline. Andadornments of gold. Yet all this would have been nothing but an enjoyment of this world.And the Hereafter with your Lord is (only) for the Muttaqin (the pious).Surah Az-Zukhruf (43:33-35).
41. Ayah#125 QUIZ 1. a. We made a. (place of) b.2. b.. security c. For mankind c. 3. d. covenant d. e. And when e.4. f. purify f. 5. g. The House g.6.
42. Ayah#126 QUIZ1. a. then a.2. b. And evil b. 3. c. The destination c. 4. d. And whoever d.5. e. A little e. 6. f. fruits f.7. g. g. This city 8. f. Said f.
43. Ayah#125 QUIZ1. What does the word mean in this ayah, according to most scholars?2. What did Allah command about “Maqam e Ibrahim” in this Ayah, that makes it so special in a Muslim’s life?3. What is Omar’s (RA) connection with this Ayah?4. What are the 4 acts of “Ibadah” mentioned in this Ayah, that are done by people in the house of Allah?
44. Quiz: Ayah #1261. Why is Ibrahim (AS)’s du’a a turning point in history?2. What are the two essential components to establish any city?3. In Ayah # 124 Allah (SWT) does not accept Ibrahim (AS)’s du’a for the disbelievers/mushrikeen, but in Ayah # 126 he fulfills it for everybody, Why? Explain.4. What does the arabic word (Aamina) mean in English?5. What does the arabic word ( At Tamaraat) mean in English?6. Some ayahs, from 3 different Surahs were quoted to establish the fact that Duniya is for little enjoyment while Hell is a torment, forever. Can you name those 3 Surahs?
45. It is recommended for both man and woman to put on some perfume before ihramand there is nothing wrong if there remain some traces of it on their bodies.Aishah said: "It is as if I can still (in retrospection) see the traces of perfume glittering on theProphets head while he was in the state of ihram." (Reported by Bukhari andMuslim)She also reported: "I used to apply perfume to the Prophet (peace be upon him)before he wore his Hajj garb, and again when he ended his state of ihram, butbefore he had made Tawaf around the Kabah." (Bukhari and Muslim)In another report transmitted by Ahmad and Abu Daw ud, Aishah said:"We used to go to Makkah with Allahs Messenger (peace be uponhim), and when we wore our Hajj garb we used to sprinkle musk onour foreheads. And if one of us was sweating or perspiring it wouldrun down her face. The Prophet (peace be upon him) would noticethis but did not prohibit its use.“Fiqh-us Sunnah Section 70