Do We Love Prophet
Prepared On Behalf of PROFCON-2014
FEB-7,8,9 @ PATHANAMTHITTA
Love of Allah and The Prophet In
Say: If it be that your fathers your sons your brothers your mates or your
kindred; the wealth that ye have gained; the commerce in which ye fear a
decline; or the dwellings in which ye delight are dearer to you than Allah or
His apostle or the striving in his cause; then wait until Allah brings about
His decision: and Allah guides not the rebellious. Taubah,9:24
Love of the Prophet in Quran
• The Prophet is preferable for
the believers even to their own
Love for the Prophet in Hadith
• "None of you becomes a believer until I am dearer
to him than his children, his parents and all
mankind." Some versions add: "his life, his wealth
and his family". (Bukhari and Muslim)
• "The Holy Prophet is dearer to us than our wealth,
our children, our fathers, our forefathers, our
mothers and cool water at the time of severe thirst."
Ali Ibn Abi Talib
Love of the Prophet a condition of
• Umar said to the Prophet: “O Messenger of Allah!
You are dearer to me than everything except my own
self.” The Messenger of Allah said: “No, by Him in
Whose Hand is my soul, (you will not have complete
faith) till I am dearer to you than your own self.”
Then Umar said to him: “Now, by Allah, you are
dearer to me than my own self.” The Messenger of
Allah said: “Now, O Umar (you are a complete
believer).” (Sahih al-Bukhari)
THE MEANING OF THIS LOVE
FOR THE PROPHET
• “Say: if you love Allah, then follow me.”(Al-Quran -3:31)
• Sufyan said, "Love consists of following the Messenger of
• One of the scholars said, "Love of the Messenger is to
believe in his victory, protect his Sunna, obey it and to fear
being in opposition to him.”
Meaning of the love of the Prophet
• One of the scholars said, "Love is constant
remembrance of the beloved.“
• Another said, "It is preferring the beloved.“
• Another said, "Love is yearning for the beloved.“
• One of the scholars said, "Love is the heart following
the will of its master, loving what he loves and hating
what he hates.“
Meaning of Prophet‟s love
• Another said, "Love is the heart's inclination to be in
harmony with the beloved.“
• Ali, describing the Prophet, said, "Whoever saw him
suddenly was in awe of him. Whoever mixed with
him loved him." We mentioned that one of the
Companions could not turn his eyes away because of
his love for him.”
THE PROPHET ALSO LOVED
• "(The Prophet) is greatly grieved at your loss and extremely
anxious for your good. For the believers he is full of kindness
and (mercy, love)." (9:128)
• We have not sent you (O Prophet) but as mercy to all the worlds." (21:107)
• The Prophet was motivated by mercy even for his enemies. It was shown by
the ease with which he forgave them all at the time of Makkan conquest.
HOW THE PROPHET
SUFFERED FOR US
AND THE MANKIND
• When the Holy Prophet started his work almost all the people of
his city opposed him
• They at first subjected him to verbal attacks, jeers and insults
• Later they started to combine verbal attacks with physical
• He spent ten days in Al-Tayf preaching to them. But they all
rejected him and pelted him till he bled. He forgave them and
prayed for them.
• He escaped from hostile Makkah to the relatively friendly Medina
but the sufferings of the Prophet continued. Makkans came after
him to fight and he had to defend himself in battles of Badar,
Uhud and Khandaq
How to love the Prophet?
• Keeping special connection and bond with the Messenger
of Allah at all times by remembering him.
• We must strive to the best of our ability in following his
Sunnah and guidance. Say to them: If you love God,
follow (and love and honor) me, and God will love you"
Surah Al Imran; ayah 31
• We should learn and study about his sirah and then
endeavor to follow in his footsteps.
• We should send blessings (salat & salam) on him, as Allah
Almighty Himself has ordered us in the Qur‟an
GLORIFYING AND BLESSING
• Undoubtedly, God and His angels love, glorify and bless the Prophet. O
believers! You (too) love, glorify and bless the Prophet and salute him with
all due respect." (33:56)
• It means :
• 1) Turning to him with love and affection
• 2) Glorifying or praising him
• 3) Blessing or favoring him
The true signs of the love of the
• 1) The first sign is to emulate him, apply his Sunnah,
follow his words and deeds, obey his commands and
avoid his prohibitions and take on his adab in ease and
hardship, joy and despair. Allah testifies to that,
• “Say: if you love Allah, then follow me and Allah will love
2-Prefer the law given by the
Prophet over one‟s passions and
• “Those who were already settled in the abode, and in
belief, before they came, love those who have
emigrated to them and do not find in their breasts
any need for what they have been given and prefer
them to themselves even if they themselves are in
3-Be without any grudge in your
heart against anyone
• Anas ibn Malik said, "The Messenger of Allah said to
me, 'My son, if you can be without any grudge in
your heart against anyone in the morning and
evening, be like that.' Then he added, 'My son, that is
part of my Sunnah. Whoever gives life to my Sunnah
has loved me and whoever loves me will be with me
in the Paradise.'" (at-Tirmidhi)
4-Mention him often and
5- Yearn to meet him
• 4) Another of the signs of love for the Prophet is to
mention him often. Whoever loves something
mentions him a lot.
• 5)Another sign is great yearning to meet him. Every
lover yearns to meet their beloved.
6-Exalt and respect him with
• Ishaq at-Tujibi said:
• "Whenever the Companions of the Prophet heard
his name after he died, they were humble, their skins
trembled and they wept. It was the same with many
of the Followers. Some of them act like that out of
love and yearning for him, others out of respect and
7-Love for those who love the
Prophet his family and his
• A person who truly loves the Prophet, will love and
respect his family and all his companions amongst
Muhajiroon and Ansaar.
• He will dislike those who dislike the Prophet, his family
and his companions.
• The Prophet said about al-Hasan and al-Husain, "O Allah,
I love them, so love them.“
• In al-Hasan's report the Prophet said, "O Allah, I love
him, so love the one who loves him."
Loving Prophet‟s family and his
• Prophet said, "Allah! Allah! My Companions! Do not
make them targets after me! Whoever loves them loves
them by loving me. Whoever hates them hates them by
hating me. Whoever does something hurtful to them does
something hurtful to me. Whoever does something
hurtful to me does something hurtful to Allah. Whoever
does something hurtful to Allah is about to be seized."
• He said about Fatima, "She is a part of me. Whoever
hates her hates me." (al-Bukhari)
Loving what the Prophet loved
• Anas once saw the Prophet reaching for the pumpkin
in the plate. He said, "I have loved pumpkin from
• Al-Hasan ibn'Ali, 'Abdullah ibn'Abbas and Ibn Ja'far
came to Salma[a servant of the Prophet] and asked
her to prepare some food for them which the
Messenger of Allah liked.
• Ibn Umar began to wear tanned sandals dyed yellow
when he saw the Prophet wearing ones like that.
8-No love for anyone who opposes
Allah and His Messenger
• “You will not find any people who believe in Allah and the Last
Day who having love for anyone who opposes Allah and His
Messenger even though they were their fathers or their sons or
their brothers or their kindred.”(Al-Quran -58:22)
9-Love for the Qur'an
• Qur'an is the scripture which the Prophet brought.
• He was guided by it and he guided rest of us
• His character and conduct was Quran.
• A'isha said, "His character was the Qur'an.“
• Part of love for the Qur'an is its recitation and
acting by it and understanding it, and loving his
sunnah and keeping within its limits.
Love of Quran and Sunnah
• Sahl ibn'Abdullah said, "The sign of the love of
Allah is love of the Qur'an. The sign of love of the
Qur'an is love of the Prophet. The sign of love of
the Prophet is love of the Sunna. The sign of love of
the Sunna is love of the Next World. The sign of
love of the Next World is hatred for this world. The
sign of hatred for this world is that you do not store
up any of it except for provision and what you need
to arrive safely in the Next World."
10- Compassion and Mercy for the
One must have compassion for Muslim community,
Give them good counsel,
Strive for their best interests and
Remove what is harmful from them just as the
Prophet was “compassionate, merciful to the
11- Remove love for material wealth
and be happy with basic provisions
• A man said to the Prophet, "O Messenger of Allah, I
love you." He said, “Take care what you say!”
• He said, "By Allah, I love you" three times. He said,
• “If you love me, then prepare for poverty quickly.”
• There is a similar hadith from Abu Sa'id al-Khudri
Rewards for loving the Prophet
1- Taste sweetness of Iman
• Anas reported that the Prophet said,
• “There are three things which cause anyone who takes refuge in
them to experience the sweetness of belief –
that Allah and His Messenger are more beloved to him than
that he loves a man only for Allah;
and that he dislikes the thought of reverting to disbelief as
much as he would dislike being cast into the Fire.”
2- One who loves the Prophet will
be with him on the Day of
• Anas said that a man came to the Prophet and asked,
"When will the Last Hour come, Messenger of
Allah?" , “What have you prepared for it?” Asked the
Prophet. He replied, "I have not prepared a lot of
prayer or fasting or charity for it, but I love Allah and
His Messenger." The Prophet said, “You will be with
the one you love.”
A man will be with the one he loves
• Safwan ibn Qudama said, "I emigrated to the
Prophet and went to him and said, 'Messenger of
Allah, give me your hand.' So he gave me his hand. I
said, 'Messenger of Allah, I love you.' He said, “A
man is with the one he loves.'”
(at-Tirmidhi and an-Nasa'i)
• 'Abdullah ibn Mas'ud, Abu Musa al-Ash'ari and Anas
related this statement from the Prophet, and Abu
Dharr also has something to the same effect.
• It is related that a man came to the Prophet and said, "Messenger
of Allah, I love you more than my family and my possessions. I
remember you and I cannot wait until I can come and look at
you. I remember that I will die and you will die and I know that
when you enter the Garden, you will be raised up with the
Prophets. When I enter it, I will not see you." Allah then
“Whoever obeys Allah and the Messenger, will be with those whom Allah has blessed: the Prophets,
the men of truth, the martyrs and the righteous. And such people are the best of company!”(AlQuran -4:68)
Love of the companions for the
• Abu Hurayra said that the Messenger of Allah said,
“Those in my community with the strongest love for
me are the people who will come after me. Some of
them would give their family and wealth to have seen
• (Muslim and al-Bukhari)
• There is something similar from Abu Dharr.
• It is related that Abu Bakr said to the Prophet, "By
the One who sent you with the truth, I would be
happier if Abu Talib [the Prophet's uncle] were to
become Muslim than if Abu Quhayfa [his own
father] were to. That is because the Islam of Abu
Talib would delight you more.
• During the migration journey to Madina, they planned to
enter cave of Thaur.
• Abu Bakr entered to explore the cave and be sure that it
was safe, closed all holes with pieces torn off from his
clothes, cleaned it and then asked the Prophet [pbuh] to
• The Prophet [pbuh] went in and immediately laid his head
in Abu Bakr [ra]‟s lap and fell asleep. Suddenly Abu Bakr
[ra]‟s foot was stung by a poisonous insect, but he did not
stir or move despite the pain, fearing Muhammad might
wake up. (The Sealed Nectar)
'Umar ibn al-Khattab
• Umar Ibn Khattab told al-'Abbas, "Your becoming a
Muslim is dearer to me than al-Khattab becoming a
Muslim because it is dearer to the Messenger of
The Human Shield of Sahaba
• When the enemy got the upper hand] on the day of the
Battle of Uhud, the Messenger of Allah was left with only
seven men from the Ansar and two men from the Quraish
• Whoso turns the enemy away from us will attain Paradise
or will be my Companion in Paradise.
• Seven Ansar were killed protecting him.
• Talha bin Ubaidullah and Sad bin Abi Waqas were left
who bravely fought the enemy and used their own bodies
as shields to protect Allah‟s Messenger (pbuh). Such was
their love for him.
Muslimah who lost her family in
• Ibn Ishaq said that the father, brother and husband
of one of the women of the Ansar were killed in the
Battle of Uhud fighting for the Messenger of Allah.
She asked, "What has happened to the Messenger of
Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace?"
They said, "He is as well as you would like, praise be
to Allah!" She said, "Show him to me so I can look at
him." When she saw him, she said, "Every affliction
is as nothing now that you are safe."
Bilal Ibn Rabah
• When Bilal was near death, his wife called out, "O
sorrow!" Bilal said, "What joy! I will meet those I
love, Muhammad and his party!"
Zayd ibn ad-Dathima
• When the Makkans drove him out of the Haram to kill
him, Abu Sufyan ibn Harb said to him, "I ask you by
Allah, Zayd, don't you wish that Muhammad was with us
now to take your place so that we could kill him, and you
were with your family?"
• Zaydsaid, "By Allah, I would not wish Muhammad to be
now in a place where even a thorn could hurt him if that
was the condition for my being with my family!“
• Abu Sufyan remarked, “I have not seen any people who
love anyone the way the Companions of Muhammad love
We hear and We obey
• Abu Talha and Abu Ayyub and some persons from
amongst the Companions of the Prophet were drinking in
a house (before alcohol was prohibited.
• A person came and said: “Has the news reached you?”
They said, “No”. He said: “Verily liquor has been declared
forbidden”. Thereupon, Abu Talha said: “Anas, spill these
large pitchers.” The narrator said: “They then never
reverted to it, nor even asked about this after the
announcement of prohibition.” [Muslim 23:4883]
Spending for the sake of love of
Allah and His Prophet
• When Prophet announced the preparation for the
Battle of Tabuk and called for charities and
donations, the Muslims raced to spend for the sake
• „Uthman gave till his charity reached nine hundred
camels and a hundred horses, besides the money he
paid. [The Sealed Nectar]
Umar ibn al-Khattab‟s charity
• Prophet commanded us one day to give sadaqah. At that time I
had some property. I said: Today I shall surpass Abu Bakr if I
surpass him any day. I, therefore, brought half my property.
• The Prophet asked: What did you leave for your family? I
replied: The same amount.
• Abu Bakr brought all that he had with him. The Prophet asked
him: What did you leave for your family? He replied: I left Allah
and His Prophet for them.
• I said: I shall never compete you in anything. [Abu Dawud
Do we love our Prophet?
• Do we hold the Prophet so dear that we can sacrifice
most of our beloved things for him?
• Can we lay our comfort, honor, life and wealth on the line
in order to safeguard his Sunnah?
• When his Sunnah is ridiculed or denied, how upset do we
• Are we as worried for the cause of Islam as we are for our
• Can we give up our desires in order to obey the Prophet ?
How much do we love our Prophet?
• Do we refrain from doing something because the
Prophet forbade it?
• Do we love him more than our forefathers and give
his Sunnah preference over their customs and
• Do we desire the Prophet‟s company in Paradise and
what are we doing to attain it?
Salutation upon our beloved Prophet
Please email to
if any mistakes noted