2. Alooooha! Shannels back for another round on my GLO portfolio! What is GLO? It stands for, General Learner Outcomes. Here I will deliberate about my ﬁnal year in the MeneMac Core. As my sophomore year comes to a close, looking back at all the work I have done this past year really showed the challenges I went through with these assignments. Being in MeneMac is not a choice, it is also a commitment as a student learner who does beyond what a regular Moanalua High School student does. MeneMac has really pushed me with many assignments and projects for the past 2 years and I can say that Im glad I made it through with satisfying results. MeneMac really changed my perspective on high school, way diﬀerent than what I anticipated. In my GLO Portfolio Presentation, I will show evidence of my work, projects, and activities I have done in the entire year that show I have met all six learner outcomes.
3. "Be responsible for ones own learning” Deﬁnition: The ability to take action for ones learning. It means taking what you learned into your time, and responsibility and doing what it takes to check if you understand what you were taught.
4. 1. Taking notes for classes such as Spanish, Geometry, Spanish Notesand Basic Physics. Taking notes for these classes show that I want to be sure that I have understood what I was taught in class. It is helpful for the times when I am confused, Geometry Notes need it for homework, projects, help me prepare for tests/ quizzes, and other assignments. This shows that I do what is takes to check if I understand what I was taught. Basic Physics Notes
5. Checking grades2. Taking time to check my current grades on SnapGrades. When SnapGrades was introduced to the whole school, I was happy that I ﬁnally get to see my current progress in each class. It’s really helpful because it displays all my assignments, projects, grades, report card, and more. When I am viewing my SnapGrades I am taking my learning into my hands because checking my grades shows that I am concerned about any upcoming tasks to do. Checking my missing assignments
6. “Understand that it is essential for human beings to work together” Deﬁnition: The importance for us to work together as a team, and to be a community contributor. This GLO is a crucial in Menemac because we have to be able to put eﬀort in our group’s work.
7. 1. Exploravision Exploravision is a nation wide competition where many grade levels compete to create a new invention that could beneﬁt us in the future. For this project, my group was called “Nanotechnos.” I faced a lot of challenges in this project because I was basically the leader of the group. I had to make sure everyone did their part, set and plan everything and make sure everything was These are a few of the web ages I made turned in before the deadline. for this project with everyone’s written part in it’s own part of the website.
8. 2. “Movie Trailer” themed bulletin This one was a challenge, from the beginning of lunch the day before it was due, we had to ﬁlm and edit the bulletin and leader in a couple of hours. This displayed the team work needed to complete this on time. And we successfully ﬁnished it in satisfaction.
9. “Be involved in complex thinking and problem solving” Deﬁnition: The skill to demonstrate critical thinking and to solve problems using high quality and responsive sources or services and implementing them in a scholarly way.
10. 1. Exploravision Exploravision was very diﬃcult and required A LOT of critical thinking. This is because we had to take a present technology and evolve it into something we could use in the future. The invention my group created was a single pill that had hundreds of Nanobots. The purpose of the pill was to eliminate the procedure of opening the human body. This pill, once taken will be activated by human saliva and will repair the damages in the human body in a eﬀective way without leaving any scars on the skin.
11. 2. Geometry I take CPM Geometry. AKA College Preparatory Mathematics. It’s not like regular Geometry, this kind of Geometry contains more word problems and This picture contains the notes I took while learning a new concept. This equations. I think this is a new lesson required me to learn 3 good examples because it equations using the apothem of a requires me to understand hexagon. This took me a while to learn because it was hard for me to the word problem, be able understand all the equations required to use the equations and to know. But with help, critical thinking importantly use critical and determination I was able to comprehend this. thinking.
12. “Recognize and produce quality performance and quality products.” Deﬁnition: Proﬁciency to create and identify good quality issues of the product/ performance.
13. 1. Physics Music Video My groups’ “Cellular Energy” music video is what I picked as an example for this GLO because I feel that the eﬀort we put in this video shows good cinematography, audio, and editing. This music video required us to get a concept in the science ﬁeld, create lyrics, get an instrumental, record it, and ﬁlm a music video along with it too. And with everything put together, the audience should have been able to learn something new out of the music video.
14. 2. Websites When I’m making websites, I always have the feel that it needs to be at its best quality. And usually when I create websites I have to be able to create & identify its quality as a product. My freshmen year’s Traits Portfolio, Poetry Website, GLO Portfolios and Exploravision web pages shows a good example for this GLO because I know the websites I made for each of them are organized, done well, demonstrates good examples, and shows a state of excellence.
15. "Communicate eﬀectively with a variety of audiences for a variety of purposes” Deﬁnition: The competence to correspond eﬀectively with peers and adults for diﬀerent reasons.
16. 1. Videoconferences The video conferences we have done this year shows how eﬀective we can communicate with other states. For example, recently we just had a videoconference with Los Fresnos. We communicated with them eﬀectively with the new cell phone polls, surveys, showing them videos, and etc. It was fun videoconferencing with other states because I got to learn something about their community, what they do, what’s it like there and more. It’s really cool how we are able to communicate with people on the other side of the country.
17. 2. Blog Commentary Parent commentaries and classmate commentaries is an eﬀective way to interact with my parents and classmates. When we have assignments that require 2 gives and 2 gets, doing blog commentaries make it a breeze to do. When I need to post a comment on my friends’ Here is an example of a blog essay I just have to comment and commentary I had to do for the post it. When I need my parents to “This I Believe” essay. post their reﬂection about my portfolio I just have to guide them through the basics and help them be able to comment and post. Blog commentary makes conversing better through technology.
18. “Use a variety of technologies eﬀective and ethically” Deﬁnition: The usage of technology in its diﬀerent forms eﬀectively and respectively.
19. 1. Websites Online websites, web pages/portfolios I have done show that I can use a variety of technology eﬀectively. Making websites/portfolios are useful because it makes it easier to use since I am in media program. The fun part about creating websites/portfolios is that it lets me use my creativity.
20. 2. Promethean and Blogger Promethean and Blogger is what I mainly use for English. (My math class just recently started using the Promethean too.) Promethean and blogger are good examples because they are two diﬀerent types of technology that are used for academic reasons. In Promethean, you can text in answers to any presentation. For blogger you can blog any work a teacher assigns and the teacher can just check them instantly by putting in our URL and checking what we posted up. This shows how I can use technology eﬀectively.
21. My goal for high school is to maintain a high GPA and remain on honor roll, graduate as Magna Cum Laude and be an honor graduate. After I graduate I want to pursue a career as a Dentist or Dental Hygienist. http://www.nursing.hawaii.edu/ http://www.catalog.hawaii.edu/schoolscolleges/nursing/ dh.htm TO MOM/DAD: Thanks for reading my GLO Portfolio! I hope you enjoyed it and got to see all the hard work I do in all of my classes. Please post a parent reﬂection on my blog @ http://shannelcabuhat.blogspot.com/2011/05/glo-‐portfolio-‐ parent-‐reﬂection.html