W Eugene Smith
• Why bother?
• There are lots of things to consider when
looking at and analysing images, such as:
– framing and composition
– depth of field
– lighting – natural or artificial?
– communication and meaning
– use of the formal elements – line, texture……
So, what do you write about?
– Literally describe what you see in the image – what is it a picture of?
– a breakdown of the image into bite size elements to help to uncover
the methods used by the photographer to create meaning.
composition and framing
use of colour (or not)
the formal elements
communication including socio-political context
– What do you think about the overall image – is it effective? discuss
your points made in the analysis to support your opinion. what does it
communicate to YOU? how has it influenced you?
• Using the grid, take it in turns to discuss an
image. Use one element from the grid
• Head to the library and begin to research into
suitable artists that you feel show the
elements as well as that interest you
• You should have found at least one and
copied/scanned/took the book out (finish as
HW if not)
• Remember to reference