2. Media Debates HomeworkWhile you wait for class to start you shouldget out your media debates poster and beprepared to present for 30 seconds telling uswhat your debate is, why you chose it andwhy is it important?If you havent read the Talent Tube article orselected your quotes from it now is a goodtime to start!
3. Talent TubeIn small groups select the best quotes from the 10 youselected earlier. Write them nicely on the car provided andstick on the wall.Be prepared to justify you choice of quotes
4. present media debate h/w Apply knowledge of Review Institutions &representation to Representation quotes broadcasting h/w Review existing knowledge of representation
5. RecapWhat do we mean by form?What does denotation and connotation mean?What is the effects model?What is the uses and gratifications model?What are the three different types of institution?What does synergy mean?Why are these concepts important to broadcasting?
6. Defining ‘Representation’Representation is ‘showing’representation is re-presenting people, events, locations etc viamedia productsAll media are forms of representationA news broadcast represents events that have happenedA science-fiction film represents things that have not happenedThe creators of meaning are governed by their own ideologiesNo representation is ever objective
7. How do you analyse representation?What is being represented? (people/places/objects)Who has created the product?Who is the product for?Is the representation positive/negative according to thetarget audience?What is your reaction to the text?How do you think this product is situated against otherproducts in the market?
8. Analysing RepresentationView and analyse the representation at work within the following TVclips:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdo79znnHl8 – Goodness Gracious Mehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHmbZt8eyKc Homelandhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HAUmII_hcg Big Fat Gypsy Wedding
9. SummaryIn groups you will need to summarise your knowledge ofONE of the following areas: Form Audience Institution RepresentationYou must apply this to the broadcasting industry Make it look pretty as it will be used for our wall display and this will be handy when we revise for your exam