1. Behind-the-Scenes @ Salesforce.com R&D: How We Deliver 3 Major Releases a Year Steve Greene, salesforce.com Panelists Chris Fry, salesforce.com Rajani Ramanathan, salesforce.com Eric Bezar, salesforce.com Catherine Courage, salesforce.com Pete Morelli, salesforce.com Platform Tech Talks
2. Safe Harbor Statement “ Safe harbor” statement under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995: This presentation may contain forward-looking statements including but not limited to statements concerning the potential market for our existing service offerings and future offerings. All of our forward looking statements involve risks, uncertainties and assumptions. If any such risks or uncertainties materialize or if any of the assumptions proves incorrect, our results could differ materially from the results expressed or implied by the forward-looking statements we make. The risks and uncertainties referred to above include - but are not limited to - risks associated with possible fluctuations in our operating results and cash flows, rate of growth and anticipated revenue run rate, errors, interruptions or delays in our service or our Web hosting, our new business model, our history of operating losses, the possibility that we will not remain profitable, breach of our security measures, the emerging market in which we operate, our relatively limited operating history, our ability to hire, retain and motivate our employees and manage our growth, competition, our ability to continue to release and gain customer acceptance of new and improved versions of our service, customer and partner acceptance of the AppExchange, successful customer deployment and utilization of our services, unanticipated changes in our effective tax rate, fluctuations in the number of shares outstanding, the price of such shares, foreign currency exchange rates and interest rates. Further information on these and other factors that could affect our financial results is included in the reports on Forms 10-K, 10-Q and 8-K and in other filings we make with the Securities and Exchange Commission from time to time. These documents are available on the SEC Filings section of the Investor Information section of our website at www.salesforce.com /investor . Salesforce.com, inc. assumes no obligation and does not intend to update these forward-looking statements, except as required by law.
3. Steve Greene Sr. Director, Tools & Agile Development
4. Agenda <ul><li>Overview of Agile Methodology </li></ul><ul><li>Panelists introduction </li></ul><ul><li>Moderator led questions </li></ul><ul><li>Q&A from audience </li></ul>
6. Lack of Visibility
7. Resource Bottlenecks
8. <ul><li>Unpredictable completion of projects or initiatives </li></ul>
9. Lack of responsiveness, lack of team alignment on priorities
10. Infrequent Customer Feedback
11. 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 Features Delivered per Team Days between Major Releases
12. What did we do about it?
14. On time delivery? Last waterfall release
15. Transformation Results 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 Features Delivered per Team Days between Major Releases
16. ADM Release Cycle Monthly Rhythm Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec Jan Release Release Release Release
17. What is ADM? ADM (Adaptive Delivery Methodology) is an Agile discipline that is specific to salesforce.com. It employs Scrum project management framework, adopts certain extreme programming practices and is based on lean principles.
18. What is ADM? <ul><li>Simple </li></ul>
19. <ul><li>Self-organized, empowered teams </li></ul>
21. What is ADM? <ul><li>Time-boxed, 30-day sprints </li></ul>
22. Daily, Verbal Communication
23. Potentially “production quality” every 30 days
24. Doneness Checklist Metrics to measure customer usage have been defined and a Metric Request ticket filed for new metrics <Feature 1> <Feature 2> <Feature 3> Code checked in and follows department standards No open regressions. Automated tests written and reviewed for all regressions No open P1 & P2 bugs Code Coverage of 70% (or as agreed with team) 70% 70% 100% of test cases logged in QAForce and executed in a QA environment, and all P1/P2 cases passing All resolved bugs verified and closed Performance/scalability impact ascertained and sys testing scheduled if required UE has reviewed any new features; P1 and P2 UI bugs fixed Usability testing completed when necessary, and feedback incorporated into backlog Code and UI reviewed for 508 compliance; UE team notified of any non-compliant features All UI labels ready for localization vendors User documentation complete and checked in Security standards met and critical issues resolved
31. Chris Fry VP, Platform Development Rajani Ramanathan VP, Quality Assurance Eric Bezar VP, Product Management Steve Greene Sr. Director, Tools & Agile Development Salesforce.com Moderated By: Catherine Courage Director, User Experience Pete Morelli Sr. Development Manager
32. More information about ADM <ul><li>http://www.slideshare.net/sgreene/slideshows </li></ul><ul><li>Tags : ADM, agile, scrum, salesforce.com </li></ul>
33. Session Feedback Let us know how we’re doing and enter to win an iPod nano! <ul><li>Please score the session from 5 to 1 (5=excellent,1=needs improvement) in the following categories: </li></ul><ul><ul><li>Overall rating of the session </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Quality of content </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Strength of presentation delivery </li></ul></ul><ul><ul><li>Relevance of the session to your organization </li></ul></ul>Additionally, please fill in the name of each speaker & score them on overall delivery. We strive to improve, t hank you for filling out our survey.