<ul><li>I. Quotes on the Bible </li></ul><ul><li>"The empire of Caesar </li></ul><ul><li>is gone; the legions of Rome are smouldering in the dust; </li></ul><ul><li>the avalanches of Napoleon hurled upon Europe have melted away, the prince of the pharoahs is fallen; </li></ul>
the pyramids they raised to be their tombs are sinking every day in the desert sands; Tyre is a rock for bleaching fisherman's nets; Sidon has scarcely left a wreck behind; but the WORD OF GOD still survives:
All things that threatened to extinguish it have only aided it; and it proves every day how transient is the noblest monument that men can build, how enduring is the WORD OF GOD." Albert Baird Cummins
2. "The BIBLE -- banned, burned, beloved. More widely read, more frequently attacked than any other book in history. Generations of intellectuals have attempted to discredit it, dictators of every age have outlawed it and executed those who read it.
“ Yet soldiers carry it into battle believing it more powerful than their weapons. Fragments of it smuggled into solitary prison cells have transformed ruthless killers into gentle saints" Charles Colson
3. “Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my word shall not pass away.” (Mark 13:31)
4. “ Ignorance of Scripture is Ignorance of Christ” St Jerome Early Church Father & Doctor of the Church
II. WHAT DOES THE WORD "BIBLE" MEAN? 1. The word "Bible comes from the Egyptian word for parchment, byblos. The Greek word biblios means books or scrolls. Later, it was translated into Latin, biblia, meaning "book.“
2. The Bible is more than a single book. It is a library--ta biblia, which means "the books." In this Bible library, as in any library, you will find a variety of books--prose, poetry, songs, prayers, history, folklore, sagas, wisdom, letters, parables, proverbs, prophecy, etc.
The library of the Bible is divided into two large groups of books: The Old Testament (The Hebrew Scriptures) The New Testament (The Christian Scriptures).
3. (a) What does the word "Testament" mean? The word "testament," as used here, does not mean "last will and testament," a legal document whereby a person disposes of earthly goods.
(b) The word "testament" is from the Latin word testamentum which translates the Hebrew word for "covenant," berith. A covenant is a pact or agreement between two parties, God and the people of God
(c) "Covenant" is one of the major themes in both the Old and New Testaments. It tells of the pact which God made through Moses with the people of Israel (the "old" covenant), and that which was fulfilled in Jesus (the "new" covenant).
A Man's Worth is His Word A man’s word is his bond. We deliver exactly what we promise. “ He who promised is faithful” (Heb.10:23). III. BIBLE = GOD’S WORD = GOD’S PROMISES
5. SEED 6. SHINES 7. SECRET OF SUCCESS 8. SOURCE OF FAITH 9. SON OF GOD 10. SOLID FOUNDATION SCRIPTURE
<ul><li>SPIRITUAL FOOD </li></ul><ul><li>“… man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD." </li></ul><ul><li>(Deuteronomy 8:3) </li></ul>
<ul><li>2. SWORD </li></ul><ul><li>"For the word of God </li></ul><ul><li>is living and active, </li></ul><ul><li>sharper than any </li></ul><ul><li>double-edged sword… </li></ul><ul><li>(Heb. 4:12) </li></ul>
<ul><li>… it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; </li></ul><ul><li>it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." </li></ul><ul><li>(Heb. 4:12) </li></ul>
<ul><li>3. SWORD </li></ul><ul><li>(A Spiritual Weapon) </li></ul><ul><li>… Take...the sword </li></ul><ul><li>of the Spirit, </li></ul><ul><li>which is the word of God." </li></ul><ul><li>(Eph 6: 13, 17) </li></ul><ul><li>Jesus - in the desert </li></ul>
<ul><li>4. SANCTIFIES </li></ul><ul><li>"Sanctify them </li></ul><ul><li>by the truth </li></ul><ul><li>your word is truth." </li></ul><ul><li>(Jn 17:17). </li></ul><ul><li>“ Sanctify” = “to consecrate, </li></ul><ul><li>or to set apart </li></ul><ul><li>persons or things to God” </li></ul>
5. SEED - ETERNAL * "For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God." (1 Peter 1:23)
<ul><li>5. SEED -- FRUITFUL </li></ul><ul><li>Others, like seed sown </li></ul><ul><li>on good soil, </li></ul><ul><li>hear the word, accept it, and produce a crop </li></ul><ul><li>- thirty, sixty or even a hundred times </li></ul><ul><li>what was sown." </li></ul><ul><li>(Mark 4:14-20) </li></ul>
God takes His Word, and sets us apart from the world to Himself. Therefore, our values, goals and behaviors are distinct from the world’s. As we yield in obedience to His truth we are sanctified by the truth.
<ul><li>6. SHINES/GUIDES </li></ul><ul><li>"Your word </li></ul><ul><li>is a lamp </li></ul><ul><li>to my feet </li></ul><ul><li>and a light </li></ul><ul><li>for my path." </li></ul><ul><li>(Psalm 119: 105) </li></ul>
7. SECRET OF SUCCESS "Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful." (Joshua 1:8)
<ul><li>8. SOURCE OF FAITH </li></ul><ul><li>"So then faith </li></ul><ul><li>comes by hearing, </li></ul><ul><li>and hearing by </li></ul><ul><li>the word of God." </li></ul><ul><li>(Romans 10:17) </li></ul>
9. SON OF GOD "And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth; we have beheld his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father." (John 1:14)
10. SOLID FOUNDATION Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock." (Matt7:24)
* “And Ezra (scribe in the OT) set himself to study the law of the Lord, to do it, and to teach its statutes in all of Israel. Study Ezra 7:10
… And because his mind and spirit was full, God used Ezra for the gigantic task of leading a large task force of men across the wilderness to rebuild Jerusalem.” Study Ezra 7:10
Paul to Timothy: “… bring the books and the parchments”. (2 Tim.4:13) STUDY
"Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.“ (1Peter3:15)
“ Study to show yourself approved unto God, a workman that need not be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” (2Tim2: 15)
'Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy think about such things.' Philippians 4:8