• Share
  • Email
  • Embed
  • Like
  • Save
  • Private Content
Creating stunning infographics for your classroom
 

Creating stunning infographics for your classroom

on

  • 1,736 views

A presentation on how to build good infographics.

A presentation on how to build good infographics.

Statistics

Views

Total Views
1,736
Views on SlideShare
1,692
Embed Views
44

Actions

Likes
0
Downloads
36
Comments
0

3 Embeds 44

http://www.scoop.it 31
http://www.pegasuscreations.com 12
http://www.linkedin.com 1

Accessibility

Upload Details

Uploaded via as Microsoft PowerPoint

Usage Rights

© All Rights Reserved

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Processing…
Post Comment
Edit your comment

    Creating stunning infographics for your classroom Creating stunning infographics for your classroom Presentation Transcript

    • SETH ALLEN, MLIS AGS OUTREACH LIBRARIAN B R YA N C O L L E G E D AY T O N , T N
    • WHAT IS AN INFOGRAPHIC? An infographic is any visualization of data in graphic form. Infographs are becoming popular ways to represent information in a digital, post-print culture. Most infographics have a 1X4 ratio. Adapted from: http://visual.ly/whatinfographic
    • INFOGRAPHICS IN LIBRARIES • • • • Flipped library instruction Promotional brochures Report summaries Supplement/supplant text-heavy library web pages • Assessment activities – have students curate information by creating their own infographics • Publish your research and encourage faculty to publish infographics in an engaging way Visualizing Boolean Search Logic Adapted from: http://www.patentlens.net/daisy/bios/1107
    • DOING IT RIGHT How Free is Information??? Google gives you access to 4% of the Web The Other 96% is hidden behind nonindexed sites, paywalls, and Intranets. The library can help get more than just the tip of the iceberg! Consistency Matters Use a similar color scheme (no more than 4 colors) and no more than 2 types of fonts, use equal spacing between sections Use Metaphors & Symbols Don’t be afraid to be cheesy, combine them when possible! Use Standard Sizes 600 px (W) X ≥1,800 px (H), 1 X 4 ratio is fairly standard
    • COMPARISION OF INFOGRAPHIC SOFTWARE Software Info.gram Advantages Easy to Use, Integrates Charts from Excel Disadvantages $18 a month charge, not mobile friendly *PiktoChart Nice templates for non-designers, can be downloaded, or embedded in a website, can embed videos, many stock photos available Downloading in the free version must have the watermark, not mobile friendly, $29 a month for the pro version Venngage Quality themes, embeddable charts Cannot download in free version, limited monthly creation of charts Gliffy Great for concept maps and visualization of processes, comparable to Visio, free Creates static images Microsoft Powerpoint Easy to make charts from Excel data, saves in many formats, free, more customizable than web-based tools, easily accessible to students & educators Time-consuming, cannot embed live data (i.e. videos) SAVE AS PNG FORMAT Microsoft Publisher Easily accessible, nice section break graphics and additional clip art not available in PowerPoint, accessible to most students Time-consuming, charts & graphs must be created in Excel or PowerPoint SAVE AS PNG FORMAT * My Recommendation for creating infographics
    • WHERE CAN I PUBLISH MY INFOGRAPHIC? If you simply want to embed it on your site/blog but can’t upload large files: Photobucket Flickr Image Shack If you want to advertise it to an external audience: SlideShar e Scribd PiktoChart Pinterest WordPres s Tumblr Visua.ly
    • WWW.PIKTOCHART.C OM
    • POLISHING IT UP Wordle Make World Clouds Wikimedia Commons Add Beautiful Images (Don’t Forget to Comply with Attribution) Free Vector Images Used for ‘silhouette’ images and scalable Free Clip Art graphics that don’t ‘pixelate’ http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/images/ http://www.vecteezy.com/ http://www.allfree-clipart.com/ http://www.greatvectors.com/ http://openclipart.org/ http://all-free-download.com/free-vector/ http://www.clker.com/
    • USEFUL LINKS Library Infographics on Pinterest Good place for infographic inspiration http://www.pinterest.com/yeoldefort/lib rary-infographics/ Penn State LibGuide on Infographics Piktochart www.piktochart.com Video Tutorial on Using PiktoChart http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIa 0v_inDOM Infogram http://guides.library.upenn.edu/content .php?pid=477001&sid=3906787 https://infogr.am Infographic Templates for PowerPoint https://vengage.com http://www.infographicdesignteam.co m/blog/even-infographics-havesize-standards/ Smore Online Flyer Maker https://www.smore.com/ Venngage