Courtesy of Ana Fúster, EOI Cartagena
2. What’s an extreme sport?
• Also known as action sports or alternative sports,
“extreme sports” are sporting events characterized by
high speed and high risk.
• Typically, extreme sports operate outside traditional
mainstream sports and are celebrated for their
• Racing and acrobatic competitions for motorcycles
and snowmobiles are also often classified as
“extreme,” and the term can be stretched to include
other daring sports as rock climbing and skydiving.
3. What are the sports most
commonly placed in this
7. BUNGEE JUMPING
11. WHITE WATER
12. ROCK CLIMBING
15. IN-LINE SKATING
17. MOUNTAIN BIKING
19. FORMULA 1
20. Talk in small groups:
• Mention two extreme sports that you do in
the snow / in the sea / in white waters / in
town / in the air / with a vehicle.
• Why do you think people do extreme
• Have you ever done any extreme sports?
Would you like to? Why?
• If you had to choose a extreme sport to
practise yourself, which one would you
choose and which one would you never
21. Interaction: Work in pairs.
You and your partner are really keen on extreme sports. You both
have a week off soon and would like to go together on an
You want to try WHITE WATER CANOEING and RAFTING.
You want to try CLIMBING and BUNGEE JUMPING
Agree on one of the activities. Consider the following:
• Equipment needed
• Facilities near your hometown
• Previous experience