If you've experienced water damage in your home, it's
imperative that you address the problem as soon as
possible. Water damage that isn't dealt with promptly can
damage your home's structure and contribute to health
problems for you and your family.
1. Mold and mildew. Left unchecked, water damage can contribute
to the growth of mold and mildew in your home. This can lead to
breathing and other health problems for you and your family,
especially for people with allergies, or asthma and other respiratory
diseases. Mold can begin growing in as little as 48 hours after water
damage has occurred. To avoid a mold problem, hire a commercial
cleaning service to clean up your home as soon as possible after
you experience water damage.
2. Structural problems. Severe water damage can undermine your
home's structural stability. Depending on the extent of the damage
and where it occurred, it may cause problems with your roof, floors,
walls, or even the home's foundation. To avoid permanent damage
to a home's structure, it is important to remove all water as quickly
as possible. If you're concerned about a building's stability because
of water damage, don't enter it; instead call a building inspector,
who can let you know if it's safe to be in the home.
3. Electrical problems. Water can easily damage your home's wiring.
In worst-case scenarios, this can contribute to fires or cause
electrocutions. In other cases, you may need to replace electrical
appliances or have your home's wiring professionally repaired. Always
call a licensed electrician to deal with any electrical problems in your
home after water damage. Also, make sure that you know how to shut
off all the electricity to your home, so that you can prevent injuries and
accidents if your home is flooded.
4. Bacteria, germs, and parasites. Depending on the source of
the water in your home, it could harbor bacteria, germs, and
parasites. If your home has been flooded with waste material
(perhaps from a sewage backup); you will definitely need to hire
a commercial cleaning service to deal with the problem. Failing to
clean up properly after this kind of damage could make your
family sick with illnesses like hepatitis, or diminish the value of
your property because of a lingering noxious smell.
5. Chemicals. Depending on the source of the water in your home, it
might be contaminated with hazardous chemicals. This may be the case
if the water came from outside the home, or if household chemicals
intermingled with the floodwaters. In any case, it's always best to hire a
home cleaning expert to deal with situations where there is a possible
chemical contamination. They'll know how to take proper precautionary
measures when cleaning and make sure your home is safe for you and