1. Product Service System DesignTongji University, 2011/2012
2. Schedule October 12 introduction 19 lecture + project 26 project November 9 IASDR conference sharing +review 16 DELIVERY 1: research + Design Direction (full + day) 23 lecture+projectLectures and 30 lecture+project Group Project Sharing December 7 DELIVERY 2: Concept (full day) 14 lecture + review 21 lecture+ review 28 lecture+ review (maybe foreign students are home for christmas) January 4 Discussion + review (maybe foreign students are home for christmas) 11 DELIVERY 3: Final internal presentation (full day) 18 Exhibition + open presentation
4. Design But now the stakes are higher. Urbanisation, global warming, crashing healthcare systems –Thinking four billion people living on less than a dollar a day – these are all changing the stakes of what we do as designers today. We can continue to be defined by the design briefs that naturally come to us, the next product, the next advertising campaign, the next range of clothing; or we can figure out how design can be more strategic, and play a part in tackling some of these issues in a way that actually maybe does create sustainable improvements in people/s lives and create businesses that have a net positive impact. (Tim Brown, IDEO)
5. But now the stakes are higher. Urbanisation,global warming, crashing healthcare systems –four billion people living on less than a dollar aday – these are all changing the stakes of whatwe do as designers today. We can continue to bedefined by the design briefs that naturally cometo us, the next product, the next advertising Where do we normally use thecampaign, the next range of clothing; or we canfigure out how design can be more strategic,and play a part in tackling some of these issues word strategy?in a way that actually maybe does createsustainable improvements in people/s livesand create businesses that have a net positiveimpact. (Tim Brown, IDEO)
6. Strategic DesignStrategyfrom the greek STRATEGOSStratòs (flatland, and figuratively military camp)+*Egos, similar to the latin ègetes, from ago (to lead)-> to lead the army, but also a wide view.Strategy and War, for Edgar Morin:Refers to a cognitive model and a way to act in front of acomplex and unpredictable reality, that keeps evolving; itis not possible to foresee the actions of all the elementsinvolved.DESIGN + KEEP INTERACTING with the changingcontext
7. DESIGNSOLUTIONSrather thanPRODUCTSSocio-technicalsystems that have aservice approach BIKE SHARING bike + interface + communication + ...
8. SOLUTIONasset interaction
9. What is the Designers Role? DESIGN THINKING Interdisciplinary capability + DESIGN COMPETENCE Professional trainingProfessional Designers can help in develop a designthinking, visualize solution, catalyze resources, de-sign tools.
10. Strategic DesignProcess.Case Study.1Video
11. Understand theContextCulture as an Iceberg. explicitSince we are no longerjust looking at the product, tacitbut designing the systemaround it, understanding thecontext is a crucial part ofthe design process.It takes time and a lot ofresearch...
12. Find Problemsand ChancesTo Increase CreativeOpportunitiesCase study.2The Human Light
13. "Human Light" for Artemideis not only the design of alamp, but also the design ofimmaterial characteristicsof light, and light actions.Light itself is considered asa product."Human Light" starts frombiological, psicological andcultural sensibility of humanbeing, puts the man at thecentre of the project with theobjective of improving lightquality to fit new emergingneeds.Light is a tool for wellbeing.
14. ProjectIntroductionand first steps
15. Mobile Communication forInaccessible TargetDesign a product-service system that facilitates mobilecommunication for non mainstream consumers in China.Who are they? What are their needs? What are theirlimits?We are not (necessarily) designing a mobile phone, but acommunication system. http://vimeo.com/30412853
16. How are we going to work.6 groups for 3 solutions Group 1P Solution 1 Group 1S Group 2P Solution 2 Group 2S Group 3P Solution 3 Group 3S P focus on Product design S focus on Service design
17. Some Cool Links www.designcouncil.org.uk service-design-network.orgwww.experientia.com/blog designmind.frogdesign.com service-design-network.org www.servicedesigntools.org
18. See you Next Wednesday.(I already put this on Slideshare)