Management Information Systems In Your Pocket
Name&Surname : Cahit Onur DOĞAN / Serdar SÖNMEZ
Number : 20110728 / 20110197
University : Cyprus International University
•How do we manage
our company in smart
•How do we control
our company or
institution from a
MIS In Your Pocket
•Perhaps, you don’t use completely, but
there are many functions today.
•That can be performed using handheld
•The smartphone has been called “Swiss
Army Knife of Digital Age ”.
•There are different types, these are web
browser,smartphone,camera, smart clock
and for some, a gateway into combined
systems with one touch.
• The new software applications make more versatile for business
• Firstly,Companies prefer BlackBerry smartphones for email with
strong security tools and accessing internal combined systems.
• Now that’s changing. Companies are starting to deploy Apple’s
iPhone to conduct more of their work.
• Hospital has a mobile workforce of 360 independent
physicians treating thousands of patients.
• The physicians use the iPhone 3G to stay connected
around the clock to hospital staff,colleques and
• The doctors use iPhone feautures such as e-
mail, calendar and contacts from Microsoft Exchange
• The iPhone allows them to receive time sensitive
alerts,voice communication also device allows the
doctors to be on call wherever they are.
• Meditech;hospital’s electronic medical record system which
is provide secure mobile access from any location in the
• Meditech delivers information on vital
signs, medications, lab results and even diets etc to the
• Radiographic image a patient,every dictated reports are
available in Meditech.
• Doctors also use iPhone patient’s bedside to access medical
apps such as Epocrates Essentials to help them interpret
lab results and obtain medication information.
• Informations store on the hospital’s own server computer.
• D.W.Morgan serves as supply chain
consultant, transportation and logistic service
provider to global companies such as Apple. It
has operations in more than 85 countries on
four continents that use a just in time strategy.
• In JIT retailers and manufacturers maintain
almost no excess inventory,relying upon
suppliers to deliver raw materials,components
before they are needed.
• In this type of production environment, It is
absolutely critical to know the exact moment
when delivery trucks will arrive.
• In the past ,it took many phone calls and
company effort to provide minute information
to customer manually.
• The company was able to develop an
application called ChainLinq Mobile.
• Morgan’s drivers use ChainLinq to record
pickups and status updates.
• When they reach their destination ,they
collect signature and data in iPhone screen at
each point along the way,including date,time
and GPS locations update immediately.
• Morgan’s competitors take about 20 minutes
to half a day to provide proof of
delivery, Morgan can do it immediately.
• Tcho starts up to produce custom developed chocolate
• Owner has developed an iPhone app that enables him to
remotely log into each chocolate making machine.
• They can control time and temperature,also app provides
turn the machines on and off and receive alerts about
when to make temperature changes.
• App also enables him to remotely connect several video
cameras that show how the Tcho FlavorLab is doing.
• Employees also excange photos,e-mail and messages.
• Also we can use iPad to use same applications from
distance to our business.
Case Study Questions
1. What kinds of applications are described here?What business
functions do they support? How do they improve operational
efficiency and decision making?
• The applications are hospital’s Meditech, Epocrates
Essentials,D.W.Morgan’s ChainLinq and Tcho FlavorLab iPhone aps.
• It has also e-mail,calendar and contacts functions in it.
• Apps make the employees control their work easily,and help
them to fix complex things.
• For example; E-mail app keeps the doctors and patients in contact
with each other any time.
• ChainLinq helps to track shipment information.
• Therefore,Applications help decision making faster,more correct
and convenient for the company.
• Company can save money and time through
using this applications.
2. Identify the problems that businesses in this
case study solved by using mobile digital
• The mobile digital devices help companies to
solve business problems.
• Doctors use of iPhone to receive emails and to
be called anytime no matter wherever they are.
• Hospital uses these kinds of tools to manage the
information of thousands of patients and help
doctors to analysis medical result and easily
access to about their patient information.
• Also any emergency conditions occur,the
hospital can contact with doctors quickly.
3. What kinds of businesses are most likely to
benefit from equipping their employees with
mobile digital devices such as iPhones,iPads and
• Almost every kind of business can benefit from
equipping their employees with mobile digital
devices due to internet.Because it is very
• As well as online shopping rate is getting increse
day by day.Due to this reasons make express
industry more important. They track the
position of each box or packet and interfere
immediately,if any problem occur.
4-D.W.Morgan’s CEO has stated,”The iPhone is not a
game changer,It’s an industry changer.It changes
the way that you can interact with your
customers and with your suppliers.” Discuss the
implications of this statement.
• iPhone’s industry users are getting increase
nowadays. It is not just for fun or play but it can
also be used in managing,affect every part of
business and contact with customers or suppliers
• Such as in hospital,doctors can handle the
information of patients immediately wherever
they are. They don’t have to sit in their office all
the time and they needn’t worry about c
the condition of patients.
MIS in Action
1. List and describe the capabilities of each of this devices and give
examples of how they could be used by businesses.
• iPhone has so many capabilities.One of these FaceTime which can
make video calls with anyone face to face.Businesses can easily
make video conferencing and meeting easily with this application.
• Also iPhone has sensitive touch,we can see the contents
perfectly.Businesses can adjust the size of graphs and statistics
• Multitasking feauture which the applications keep working even
though they are not shown on the screen. Different apps can open
and use simulteneously.
• Others like Motorola,iPad,BlackBerry have almost the same
capabilities as the iPhone.But there are some differences,iPhone
use iOS,the others has own operating systems and some of them
are not have multitasking feautures(Motorola Droid).
2. List and describe three downloadable business
applications for each device and describe their
• FedEx Mobile:It provides latest shipment
information and allows us track our orders in.
• Chase Mobile:It makes it easy to manage our
account with iPhone and safely use our credit
cards.We can do some business transactions
with this application in our own device.
• Amazon Mobile:It helps us to quickly
search, shop,compare,prices,read reviews and
make purchases on our smart phones.Also
business can help customer on smart phones
wherever they are.