1. The Wonder of Mumbai DabbawallasInspiration of Managementsupported by https://www.facebook.com/seo2india/
2. Introduction• A dabbawala (one who carries the box, see Etymology), sometimesspelled dabbawalla or dabbawallah, is a person in the Indian city ofMumbai whose job is to carry and deliver freshly made food fromhome in lunch boxes to office workers. Tiffin is an old-fashionedEnglish word for a light lunch, and sometimes for the box it is carriedin. Dabbawalas are sometimes called tiffin-wallas. For the efficiencyof their supply chain it has been claimed that this virtually achieves aSix Sigma performance rating, (i.e. 99.9999% of deliveries are madewithout error, he is at CMMi level 6).• Though the work sounds simple, it is actually a highly specializedtrade that is over a century old and which has become integral toMumbais culture.• The dabbawala originated when India was under British rule: manyIndian people who worked in British companies disliked the Britishfood served by the companies, so a service was set up to bring lunchto them in their workplace straight from their home. Nowadays,Indian businessmen are the main customers for the dabbawalas,and the service often includes cooking as well as delivery.
3. (Nutan Mumbai Tiffin Box Suppliers Association)• History : Started in 1880• Charitable trust : Registered in 1956• Avg. Literacy Rate : 8thGrade Schooling• Total area coverage : 60 Kms• Employee Strength : 5000• Number of Tiffins : 2,00,000 Tiffin Boxesi.e 4,00,000 transactions every day.• Time taken : 3 hrsWhat is NMTBSA?
4. • Error Rate : 1 in 16 million transactions• Six Sigma performance (99.999999)• Technological Backup : Nil.• Cost of service - Rs. 200/month ($ 4.00/month)• Standard price for all (Weight, Distance, Space)• Rs. 50 Cr. Turnover approx.[200,000*200=400,000,00 p.m. i.e 48 crore p.a.]• “No strike” record as each one a share holder• Earnings -5000 to 6000 p.m.
5. DABBAWALLAS IN TRAIN COMPARTMENTThe word "Dabbawala" can be translated as "box-carrier" or "lunchpail-man". In Marathi and Hindi, "dabba" means a box (usually a cylindricalaluminium container), while "wala" means someone in a trade involving theobject mentioned in the preceding term, e.g.punkhawala with "pankha" which means a fan and "wala" mean the person who owns t(The one with the fan).
6. APPROACHDISCIPLINE :• No Alcohol Drinking during business hours• Wearing White Cap during business hours• Carry Identity CardsWOMEN:• Mrs. Bhikhubai of Borivali(East)• Mrs. Anandibai of Andheri(East)LATEST MARKETING STRATEGY:Marketing message in the “dabba”
7. How do they do it…?• OrganizationalstructureExecutive Committee(5 members)Teams of 20-25 headed by agroup leaderIndividual Dabbawallaworkload = 30 tiffins• Operations• War against Time (10.30 –1.00)• The CodeCase Study : TBSATiffin Box Suppliers Association
8. ORGANISATIONAL STRUCTUREThe service is uninterrupted even on the days of extreme weather, such asMumbais characteristic monsoons. The local dabbawalas at the receiving andthe sending ends are known to the customers personally, so that there is noquestion of lack of trust. Also, they are well accustomed to the local areas theycater to, which allows them to access any destination with ease. Occasionally,people communicate between home and work by putting messages inside theboxes. However, this was usually before the accessibility oftelecommunications
9. PRESIDENTVICE PRESIDENTGENERAL SECRETARYTREASURERDIRECTORS(19)MEMBERS(5000)MUKADAM13 MEMBERS
10. PRESIDENT & GENERAL SECRETARYNUTAN MUMBAI TIFFIN BOX SUPPLIERS ASSOCIATION
11. FINANCIAL DATA OF AGROUP1stgroup –Rs 125000 Total earnings -20 PeopleRs 35000 Maintenance costTiffin luggage basket pass – Rs 180 per person.Maintenance of cycles – Rs 300 – 2 cycles permonth. Maintenance of wooden boxes –Rs 100 per person . T.C , police robbery of Tiffin Rs500 yearly. Organizational fee Rs 15 per head.Puja held per station Rs 50 per head.
12. Awards and Felicitation Shri.Varkari Prabhodhan Mahasmati Dindi (palkhi) sohala – 4thmarch– 2001. Invitation from CII for conference held in Bangalore.Documentaries made by BBC ,UTV, MTV, and ZEE TVDabbawalla services are popular with the Indian IT developercommunity in Silicon Valley, California, USAIn literatureOne of the two protagonists in Salman Rushdies controversial novel The SatanicVerses, Gibreel Farishta, was born as Ismail Najmuddin to a dabbawallah. In thenovel, Farishta joins his father, delivering lunches all over Bombay (Mumbai) atthe age of 10, until he is taken off the streets and becomes a movie star.Dabbawalas feature as an alibi in the Inspector Ghote novel Dead on Time.
13. Some Achievements• World record in best time management.• Name in “GUINESS BOOK of WorldRecords”.• Registered with Ripleys “ believe it ornot”.
14. LOGISTICSLOGISTICSLogistics is happening 24 hrs a day,7 days a weekand 52 weeks a year.Logistical competency is achieved by coordinatingthe following: Network Design Information Transportation Inventory Warehousing
16. • Let us now look at an example of t hesecodes on t he t if f ins t o bet t erunderst and t he syst em and what it alldenot es:
17. MR. RAGHUNATH MEDGE
18. • 10:34-11:20 am• This t ime period is act ually t he j ourneyt ime. The dabbawalas load t he woodencr at es f illed wit h t if f ins ont o t he luggage orgoods compart ment in t he t r ain. Gener ally,t hey choose t o occupy t he last compar t mentof t he t rain.
19. • 11:20 – 12:30 pm• At t his st age, t he unloading t akes place att he dest inat ion st at ion• Re-arr angement of t if f ins t akes place as pert he dest inat ion area and dest inat ion building
20. • I n part icular areas wit h high densit y of cust omers, a specialcrat e is dedicat ed t o t he area. This crat e carries 150 t if f insand is driven by 3-4 dabbawalas!
21. • 1:15 – 2:00 pm• Here on begins t he collect ion process wheret he dabbawalas have t o pick up t he t if f insf rom t he of f ices where t hey had deliveredalmost an hour ago.
22. RETURN JOURNEY:• 2:00 – 2:30 pm• The gr oup member s meet f or t he segr egat ion asper t he dest inat ion subur b.
23. • 2:48 – 3:30 pm• The ret ur n j ourney by t r ain wher e t he gr oupf inally meet s up af t er t he day’s rout ine ofdispat ching and collect ing f r om variousdest inat ion of f ices• Usually, since it is mor e of a pleasantj our ney compar ed t o t he earlier par t of t heday, t he dabbawalas light en up t he momentwit h merry making, joking around andsinging.
24. • 3:30 – 4:00 pm• This is t he st age wher e t he f inal sort ingand dispat ch t akes place. The groupmeet s up at or igin st at ion and t hey f inallysort out t he t if f ins as per t he origin ar ea
25. THE ROYAL VISIT:• Recent ly, t he dabbawala’s had royal company at Churchgat e st at ion.The Prince of Wales himself had visit ed t hem when he came down t oMumbai.• He t ook keen int erest in t heir way of f unct ioning, expressed surpriseat t heir ef f iciency and was st ruck wit h awe when he was t old t hatt hey didn’t employ any t echnology.• The prince was present ed a small mement o, accompanied wit h a
26. RICHARD BRANSON CHAIRMAN VIRGIN ATLANTIC AIRWAYS MUMBAI• Sir Richard Branson, Chairman, Virgin Atlantic Airways,meeting the Mumbais famed Dabbawalas at their nodalpoint, the Churchgate Railway Station in South Mumbai,on April 1, 2005.
27. Order Dabbawalas Products and services OnlineMyDabbawalas.com developing a software application through whichthe people of Mumbai can order Dabba service online through internet.The order will be booked online and Dabba will be picked up from yourhome and will be delivered to office in time. Please wait , the softwarewill be soon available. Meanwhile you may send us E-Mail us athttps://www.facebook.com/seo2india with your details ( name, homeaddress , office address , home phone , office phone , mobile number ,whether you want dabba on Saturday) and He will contact you to startthe service.
28. Order through SMSAlthough the service remains essentially low-tech, with the barefoot delivery boysas the prime movers, the dabbawalas have started to embrace technology, and nowallow booking for delivery through SMS. A web site, mydabbawala.com, has alsobeen added to allow for on-line booking, in order to keep up with the times. An on-linepoll on the web site ensures that customer feedback is given pride of place.The success of the system depends on teamwork and time management that wouldbe the envy of a modern manager. Such is the dedication and commitment of thebarely literate and barefoot delivery boys (there are only a few delivery women) whoform links in the extensive delivery chain, that there is no system of documentation atall. A simple colour coding system doubles as an ID system for the destination andrecipient. There are no elaborate layers of management either — just three layers.Each dabbawala is also required to contribute a minimum capital in kind, in the shapeof two bicycles, a wooden crate for the tiffins, white cotton kurta-pyjamas, and thewhite trademark Gandhi topi (cap). The return on capital is ensured by monthlydivision of the earnings of each unit. -https://www.facebook.com/seo2india