2. Presented By : Group• Chandni Lakhyani• Divya K Mada 81• Rizwan Sanuallah• Priyanka Sawant
3. • History : Started in 1890• Charitable trust : Registered in 1956• Avg. Literacy Rate : 8th Grade Schooling• Total area coverage : 60 Kms to 70 Kms• Employee Strength : 5000• Number of Tiffins : 2,00,000 Tiffin Boxesi.e. 4,00,000 transactionsevery day• Time taken : 3 hrs(9.00 A.M.. to 12.00 P.M. for theCollection of Dabba and Delivery)Nutan Mumbai Tiffin Box SuppliersAssociation
4. Working of NMTBSA• Error Rate : 1 in 16 million transactions• Six Sigma performance (99.999999)• Technological Backup : Nil• Cost of service - Rs. 350/- to 400/- month($ 8.00/month)• Standard price for all (Weight, Distance, Space)• Rs. 40 to 45 Cr. Turnover approximately.• “No strike” record as each one a share holder• Earnings - Rs. 6000/- to 7000/- per month• Diwali Bonus : One month’s extra payment fromcustomers
5. Some Achievements• World record in best time management• Name in “GUINESS BOOK of WorldRecords”• Registered with Ripleys “ believe it or not”• Received ISO 9001 : 2000 Certificate
6. DABBAWALAS WITHDIGNITIES
7. PRINCE CHARLES’ VISIT TOTHE DABBAWALLAS OF MUMBAI4 Nov, 2003 – At Church Gate Stn.Time 11.20 a.m. to 11.40 a.m.
8. Sir Richard Branson, Chairman, Virgin Atlantic Airways,meeting the Mumbais famed Dabbawalas at theirnodal point, the Churchgate Railway Station in SouthMumbai, on April 1, 2005.
10. PRESIDENTVICE PRESIDENTGENERAL SECRETARYTREASURERDIRECTORS(19)MEMBERS(5000)MUKADAM13 MEMBERS
11. Coding System
12. Residential railway station codeCode for destination railwaystationDabbawallas code atdestinationBldg.name fordeliveryFloor No. ofthe bldg
13. How dothey do it?
14. • 10:30 -11:15 am(Andheri Stn)This time period isactually the journeytime. The Dabbawalasload the wooden cratesfilled with tiffins ontothe luggage or goodscompartment in thetrain. Generally, theychoose to occupy the lastcompartment of the train.12 coach train4,000 commuters8,000 disputesBut no excuses,Duty first
15. • 70% deliveries atCST & Churchgate• High volume areas likeNariman Point, Fort ,CST have dedicated crates• Each crate 150 dabbas,• Pushed by 3-4 elderlydabbawallas11:15 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.(Church Gate Station)At this stage, the unloadingtakes place at the destinationstationRe-arrangement of tiffins takesplace as per the destinationarea and destination building
16. 1:15 – 2:00 pm(At All Destination Stations)Here on begins the collection processwhere the dabbawalas have to pick upthe tiffins from the offices where theyhad delivered almost an hour ago2:00 – 2:30 pm(At Destination Station)The dabbawalla’s meet forthe segregation as per thedestination suburb.Return Journey
17. 2:48 – 3:30 pmThe return journey by train where thegroup finally meets up after the day’sroutine of dispatching and collectingfrom various destination officesUsually, since it is more of apleasant journey compared tothe earlier part of the day3:30 – 4:00 pm(The Origin Station)This is the stage where the final sortingand dispatch takes place. The groupmeets up at origin station and they finallysort out the tiffins as per the origin area
18. “People study business books andthen practice. We practiced first andhave now become case studies”