Your SlideShare is downloading. ×
Cj presentation
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Thanks for flagging this SlideShare!

Oops! An error has occurred.

×

Introducing the official SlideShare app

Stunning, full-screen experience for iPhone and Android

Text the download link to your phone

Standard text messaging rates apply

Cj presentation

106
views

Published on

Published in: News & Politics, Education

0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
106
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
0
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
0
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

Report content
Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
No notes for slide

Transcript

  • 1. 2010 Moscowbombing•The images of the bombblast were provided bycitizens equipped with cellphones participation of victims inreporting the news gavedivergent perspective ofthe story
  • 2.  Form of citizen media “…members of public collecting, reporting, analyzing and disseminating news and information..” User generated content
  • 3.  Audience at the receiving end report Use technology and internet Independent citizen journalists Semi independent journalist
  • 4.  Regular journalism: pamphlets and brochures Public journalism/ civic journalism Abraham zapondi: first citizen journalist
  • 5.  Online citizen journalism with the advent of web2.0 Gained Prominence during crisis A Citizen Journalism Identity Emerges From London Bombings The You decide( online) project and the 2007 Australian Federal
  • 6.  Began with web journalism Hindi-language Channel 7, 24x7 English- language channel CNN-IBN Merinews.com, instablogs.com
  • 7. Chennai•Chennai one among topten cities having mostnumber of Internet users(2010 report)• Chennai ranks the thirdamong the metros interms of mobile internetusage ( survey byTechno zone)• Dinakaran ( Tamilnewspaper) : invitespeople to contributenews
  • 8.  To study online habits among the college students in Chennai To find out the understanding of citizen journalism among the students To find out the involvement of the students as citizen journalists
  • 9.  Quantitative method Primary data from students in the Chennai colleges Non probability sampling used Convenient sampling – selected 5 colleges
  • 10.  20 students in each college and at least 5 teachers in each college Survey method was used to collect data. Questionnaire was developed Data analysed – statistically using SPSS
  • 11.  Sample size – 65 Students age - 17 to 30 and teachers – above 30 to 56 Male – 74% and Female – 26% Students – 85% and Teachers- 15%
  • 12. percent no28% yes 72%
  • 13. Have you seen or read any citizen journalist news. percent yes 15% no 85%Respondents were exposed to citizen journalist news in newspaper andtelevision channels
  • 14. news repporting yes 20% no80%
  • 15. ONLINE NEWS CITIZEN JOURNALISM NEWS browsing browsing yes no 12% 37% yes 63% no 88%
  • 16. Reported or uploaded any news in websites upload or report yes 18%Among 69 % of the respondentswhobrowse online news only 18 %were found to be reporting oruploading news or events no 82%
  • 17. Age vs. Social media habits Chart Title• Majority of respondents No yesfrom all age groups used facebook or twitter 1 Above 40 2• Students who were below20 years had the highest 3percentage of using the social 21 - 40media websites 10 6 <20 43
  • 18. Age Vs citizen journalism websites knowledge• Only 20 % of the students ( <20 above 40 yrsyears) who were aware of thecitizen journalism had the ideabout citizen journalism websites 21 - 40 yrs no• The percentage of respondents in yesthe other age groups were foundto be minimum < 20 yrs 0 5 10 15 20 25 30 35 40
  • 19. Age Vs Citizen journalism websites browsing habits• Only 11 % of the students ( <20 years) > 40 years who had knowledge about websitesused it 21 - 40 years no yes• 2% of the respondents ( >40 years))who were aware of the websites didnot use the sites at all < 20 years 0 10 20 30 40 50
  • 20. Sex Vs Social media habits• 65% of the total male respondentsused face book or twitter female• only 20% of the female respondentsused the social media habits no yes male 0 10 20 30 40 50
  • 21. Sex Vs citizen journalism website knowledge•Among the total respondents only female20% of male and 3% of females hadknowledge about websites no yes male 0 10 20 30 40
  • 22. Sex VS citizen media browsing habits• Only 11 .8% of the male and 1.5 % ofthe female who already have femaleknowledge about the websites, browse no yes male 0 5 10 15 20
  • 23. Preference to be acitizen journalist preference•65 % of the students were nointerested to be a citizen 35%journalist if they aregiven a chance yes 65%
  • 24.  94% of total users use Email 85 % of the respondents use social media websites Majority ( 51%) of the respondents visit social media websites every day Age group below <20 years had highest usage of social media websites
  • 25.  77% of the respondents had the idea about citizen journalism Percentage of students below 20 years who browsed the citizen journalism websites was high Age group <20 particularly males used citizen journalism websites to upload news Majority respondents preferred to be citizen journalist
  • 26. Thank you