Adobe AIR is a cross-operating system runtime that
lets developers combine HTML, AJAX, Adobe Flash,
and Adobe Flex technologies to deploy rich
Internet applications (RIAs) on the desktop
• What is Adobe AIR?
SQL Lite Database
• AIR APIs and Features
Creating Desktop Applications for Adobe AIR
• Adobe Integrated Runtime (AIR) – previously
• Cross-OS application engine that enables hybrid
• Adds desktop capabilities for Flex apps
–Total control of user experience
–Browser to desktop consistency
–Rich media capabilities
–Desktop access to services
Enter the ProjectName
Select the Application Type
(a) Web Application
- Runs in Flash Player
(b) Desktop Application
- Runs in Adobe AIR
Export Adobe AIR
Click “ Release Build”
Create .P12 Certificate
Click the create Button
Enter the Publisher name
Enter the Country as IN
Enter the Password and
Click the browse button
Enter the .P12 filename in
Then Click the Finish Button in Parent Dialogbox.
Install AIR Installer
Double Click the AIR Installer
Click Install Button
Select the Installation directory
Shortcut will be available
Adobe AIR Developer Workflow
Why SQLite in Adobe AIR?
Embedded SQL Database Engine
■ Implements most of SQL92
■ Light-weight, cross-platform, open source
■ No setup, configuration or server required
■ Each database is contained within a single file
How do you use it?
Create a File reference
Create an instance of flash.data.SQLConnection and
Open the database connection
Specify the connection and SQL query to run
Why use an application framework?
• Bottom line - Help us to be more efficient, more dynamic, less
• Good for parallel development (multiple developers).
• Patterns force good design.
• Code for the future - Easier to make changes and update.
• Enhance performance.
• Faster for new team members to start along.
• Cairngorm is one of the primary open source frameworks
for application architecture
• Cairngorm is one of the best way to RIA easily.
• The user interface will play a major role in the business
• Number of layer in cairngorm.
• Model – Proxies hold the model VO’s, also take care of remote
• View – Mediators encapsulate unaware UI components.
• Controller – Commands, can be think of as encapsulated
autonomous functionality untied to an owner.
Notifications - Internal communication
• PureMVC uses notification (Similar to Flash Event).
• All actors can send and listen to notifications.
• sendNotification(name, body, type);
• Data can be sent along inside a notification’s body.